1982 GS450T Turn Signal Upgrade from Stock "1 wire" to "2 wire" HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS450T Turn Signal Upgrade from Stock "1 wire" to "2 wire" HELP

This should be a no-brainer but I wanted to check with you all to make sure I don't mess things up...

Got little black incandescent bulb turn signals to put on the bike.

Here is the link

The stock signals have a positive coming from the signal and a ground from the harness that is grounded to the frame where the signal housing mounts. The new signals are 2 wire, I assumed the red is positive and the black is the ground. I thought I could just connect the positive to the harness and the ground to the ground without actually grounding it to the frame because the ground on the new signals ends inside of the black bullet signals...

Can I just connect the positive to the positive and connect both grounds to the frame?

I'm sure many of you have done this upgrade. Should be easy right? I shouldn't have to do anything with the harness right?

Thanks

On my bike the stock signals are grounded to ring connector that runs back into harness to a common ground connector. Follow the stock black/white wire from stock signal back to find this ground connector. Your new signal's black wire needs to connect along here.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First of all, I could consider that more of a "change" than an "upgrade", but you should be able to connect the new signal's red wire to the signal wires on the bike, and the black wire to the black/white wire on the bike.

Depending on what bulb is in the new lights, you might also need to change your flasher unit.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bulbs are standard 12V, 5W incandescent. Do I need to put in a new flasher unit? If so, any idea which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktop Classics View Post
          The bulbs are standard 12V, 5W incandescent. Do I need to put in a new flasher unit? If so, any idea which one?
          5w sounds like a standard load bulb, so should require no flasher TSCU changes.

Comment

5w is a marker light, not a turn signal. Turn signals are 23 or 27w.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got it figured out. Needed a new flasher relay. Many thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
              X