Electrical overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical overheat

Hi! I have a GS450S and a problem with starting it. When i press the start button only thing that happens is a "click" sound from the starter relay, and starter won't crank. After pushing the button several times, the contact between the relay and starter wire starts heating and reaches a relatively high temperature. I pulled out the relay and connected it to a battery and it worked fine. Local repairmen hate dealing with electrics so I have to fix it myself. Could the wire have gone bad or is it something else? Thanks!

Just where exactly do you find this high temperature? at starter button,or at starter relay?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

At the starter relay, at the point where lead from starter motor is connected.

Comment

Assuming you've got a good battery with enough power - it sounds like juice is flowing to the starter motor, or at least through the relay. So either something is wrong with the starter motor, or you got really, really bad connections.

I'd start with checking the starter wire up to the motor, cleaning all connections (including grounding of the starter motor). If that doesn't help, your starter motor might be in need of servicing (or replacement). Here's another thread on this forum, with a bad starter
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thank you! Will follow up on that next weekend

Comment

Sounds like your starter motor is drawing too much current thru relay, could be hard to turn starter motor or faulty starter clutch.but double check the connections at starter relay to make sure nothing is grounding out when you hear relay click.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can you turn the motor over by hand? If so, then try to bypass the starter relay by shorting out the two large terminal posts. You'll get a spark when doing so but don't worry about it. It's perfectly normal. A screwdriver works well at shorting out the terminals. You might want to use an older screwdriver though since it can cause a little damage to the shaft when it arches. If the motor turns over fine then you either have a bad solenoid or corroded wire connections further upstream. If it won't turn over then either your battery is bad/discharged or the starter motor has gone bad.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
              X