82 suzuki gs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 suzuki gs 1100

Hello! I recently bought a GS! However it had a hole in the number 3 piston I found out. The bike would go about 50 mph and top out. I replaced all 4 pistons, rings, and gaskets. I used the ignition area to find tdc and removed the #4 spark plug to check. set the cams at the correct marks. exhaust cam #1 mark pointing right below gasket. then set the intake cam #3, 20 links from number 2 mark. It cranked up, but I did not have the tensioner tight enough. Re did everything but made sure chain was tight. But Now it backfires through exhaust then just through carbs? Did I set the timing on the exhaust stroke? is that even possible on these bikes? Thanks Josh

Which 1982 GS1100? Shaft drive or chain -- they're very different engines.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It is the shaft drive. Is there a marking under the stator cover on the fly wheel I should be alining?

Comment

The stator cover is on the left -- don't remove that.

There are markings under the ignition cover on the right side of the engine -- is that what you're talking about?

This should help explain how to find TDC -- these are photos under the ignition cover on the right. Your bike's ignition bits will probably look like the top photo.

Make sure you have the correct instructions for timing the cams. Confusion runs rampant...
        Last edited by bwringer; 04-07-2017, 08:15 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes I have been following that link, Where the ^%$#@! is TDC? lol. I have the first one, the electronic advance. I watched the intake valve open and then watched the piston through the spark plug hole come up before the exhaust stroke. Everything looks correct. Sitting on the bike. The right coil feeds spark plugs 2 and 3, and the left coil feeds 1 and 4 right?

Comment

Originally posted by toaster120 View Post
            Yes I have been following that link, Where the ^%$#@! is TDC? lol. I have the first one, the electronic advance. I watched the intake valve open and then watched the piston through the spark plug hole come up before the exhaust stroke. Everything looks correct. Sitting on the bike. The right coil feeds spark plugs 2 and 3, and the left coil feeds 1 and 4 right?
            Yes, but your asking the same questions in two threads. Have you checked the valve clearances and cylinder compressions Tight valves will also cause spitting through the carbs and popping out of the exhaust. Is it possible that you moved the shims around?
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have no gauge to check compression levels, but they pop really well if I put a towel in the hole. I could have miss aligned them. Are the exhaust different sizes then the intake stock? the exhaust valves look to be fully closed but I cannot fit the feeler gauge when the lobe is up.

Comment

The shims are definitely way off. Everyone of the intake clearances can almost fit 1/8th inch and all the exhaust clearances are not there leaving them open. Not even sure how the bike was running before. Has anyone had luck with sanding the shims or better off just buying a kit?

Comment

Use the GSR shim exchange.

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                  X