Odd indicator symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd indicator symptoms

First a big thanks to Posplayr and team for all the advice on the stator and r/r, I now have a healthy system.

Following on from this I've been working my way through all the connectors , long over due. Now when I select left indicator both indicators flash however the cluster warning light does not. Yet when I select right none of the indicators work but the cluster warning light does. As this has occurred at the end of the day I thought I would ask you guys for some pointers on what to look at. The working shift means I can't get into the work shop until Sunday but will let you know where your advice takes me.

Thanks to all,
    Greg
    Suzuki GS1000 1978
    Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

At first glance of your post the problem sounds like something an earth fault could spring up, but as you have been working through the connectors have you got them crossed somehow?
    I would check using the wiring diagram.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

It sounds like the switch is bad.

Comment

My switch was bad but also the plug into the harness under the tank had seen some heat and partially melted.
        Worth checking it out. IIRC it was a blue plug on the 850 - might save time wire chasing.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Greg65 View Post
          ... when I select left indicator both indicators flash however the cluster warning light does not. Yet when I select right none of the indicators work but the cluster warning light does. ...
          Check the earths on both of your right-side signals.

If I remember correctly, you have a single indicator in the instrument panel for your blinkers. That has no chassis earth, it is connected to the 'hot' side of each side's signals. When you turn on the left side blinkers, power comes from the flasher unit through both blinkers to earth. Power also gets to the indicator in the panel, but it is supposed to go through the filaments of the right-side signals for an earth path. Since the low current that the panel indicator allows is not enough to turn on the signals, they do not light, they only act as wires. Since the earth path is (apparently) not good after the bulbs, there is no path to earth the panel indicator.

Now, when you turn on the right side blinkers, the signal lights do not work because they have no earth path. However, since power also goes to the panel indicator, then through the signals on the left side, the panel indicator lights up. But I'll bet it doesn't blink.

Check your earths on the right side and report back.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys for some good advice and an insight into how it all works. I will let you know after Sunday when I get my hands on the problem.

Thanks
            Greg
            Suzuki GS1000 1978
            Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Early update as I managed to get an afternoon free, so armed with a cup of tea and the Haynes manual I headed for the workshop. Now having considered the advice I decided to work logically from the rear of the bike and recheck the wiring. As an after thought I decided to start from the bulb. When I removed the lens about 30 odd bits of glass bulb fell out! Looks like I was onto something, so checked the front bulb, that was burnt out as well. I had one spare in stock so fitted that in the rear and the system works correctly with the obvious exception of the burnt bulb. Hope to get some more spares before the Easter weekend, however any suggestions as to why one bulb exploded and the other burnt out? Coincidence or should I be looking for a common fault, if so are there any suggestions?

Happy Easter all,
              Greg
              Suzuki GS1000 1978
              Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Probably just coincidence that they both went at the same time, but those would be the "earths" I mentioned in post #5.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

If your generator is overcharging it can take out bulbs.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah that. Any other machine it's one of those things but these bikes tend to overcharge at this age with stock electrics.
                    Doublecheck the wattage of what came out.
                    Can't take anything for granted on an old machine.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The generation system has been rebuilt, new stator, a SH775 r/r and a single point ground. Will check any way.

cheers
                      Greg
                      Suzuki GS1000 1978
                      Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Also a noobie Question. When you say check the earths, do you mean that the grounding point is clean or the wire integrity itself? If so how do you perform that check? Learning as i progress.

Thanks,
                        Greg
                        Suzuki GS1000 1978
                        Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Originally posted by Greg65 View Post
                          Also a noobie Question. When you say check the earths, do you mean that the grounding point is clean or the wire integrity itself? If so how do you perform that check? Learning as i progress.

Thanks,
                          Greg
                          All connections associated with the charging system are very sensitive to any resistance especially what is due to latent corrosion. You can't "check" by looking at it. You either need to:
                          A.) clean it chemically (and treat it for prevention or
                          B.) do a current based test.

The "Quick test" is intended to do a quick review, but the Phase A stator tests are more specific.

Comment

Yes, we just use the term "ground", where you use "earth", but it is the whole process of carrying electrical current from the load back to the power source, in this case, the battery or the R/R. When you had bad bulbs, the 'wire' part of the earth was bad, but it's also possible to have a bad connection between the bulb and its socket, the socket and the wire connected to it, or the point where the wire is fastened to the chassis or other 'earth' point.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X