Cant find Igniter or signal generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant find Igniter or signal generator?

In my quest to get my 1982 Suzuki gs750 road worthy I just recently changed my coils. I was stalling out once the bike got really warm and thought I was losing a coil. I did not however test the spark and just went ahead and bought new coils. No worries I am sure it could use new since they were the original so I am not upset about the expenditure. However I installed the coils yesterday and was still having trouble so I bought an inexpensive spark tester and lo and behold .. no spark coming from 1 and 4. I am going to switch the coils tomorrow to be certain it isnt the brand new coil. When I put the ohm meter across the primaries both coils read 4.3 ohms. I tried to get a reading between one of the primaries and the end of the spark plug cable but couldnt get a reading on either coil although I know one to be working so I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway ... I have read a dozen or more posts that make me think the next thing to chase down is the igniter or signal generator. I have looked in clymer and at the shop manual but the pix aint great and to be perfectly honest ... I am not seeing anything in my bike that resembles the igniter box??

I posted some links to some largish pictures. I do have some mystery relay looking box wrapped in electric tape but ... am I just not looking in the right spot. In all the images I have seen it looks like it should be behind the brake master.

The signal generators are easy. They are under the cover on the right end of the crank.

I do not see the ignitor in any of those pictures. There is a possibility that it might have been replaced with a Dyna system, you can verify by pulling the cover and looking at the signal generators. The Dyna system has the ignitor built in with the signal generators.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Based on how I read the parts fiche, the ignitor looks to be on the right side of the bike. After you find the signal generator where Steve said, try looking around the airbox area maybe?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It may be bolted to underside of battery box
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
        X