Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100GK '83. Indicators no come on or flash. Auto-off fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK '83. Indicators no come on or flash. Auto-off fault?

Hi all. Last job before the GS is finished is to get the indicators to work. On moving the handlebar switch to L or R the flasher relay clicks once but the lights don't come on.

the 1100GK has a auto-off electrical black box. I don't know if the fault causing my lack of indicator lights is with this component or something else. I've swapped out the flasher relay to no benefit.

Has anyone else had trouble with the auto-off component? Any other "known" problems?

IMG_0769.jpgThis is the bike in question...

Comment

You have swapped out the relay? What did you put in?

If it is not a Suzuki flasher, it will not work. Period.

Unless you do a lot of modifying.

By the picture, that would be a GS1100GK"S"?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've tried done other flasher relays. The Suzuki one does seem closest to working, I wasn't aware the Suzuki ones were different to everything else.

yup a GS1100GS. I do cafe racers of every size.

keep the Suzuki one and chase a routine bad connection?

Comment

Also if battery isn't fully charged, I have seen them that only work while bike is running
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            I wasn't aware the Suzuki ones were different to everything else.
            On the bikes with auto-cancel, the third pin on the flasher is NOT a ground, it is connected to the Turn Signal Control Unit (TSCU). The other two pins are connected to the battery and to the lights, as with other flashers. The flasher only does the actual "flashing", the TSCU tells it when to start and stop. There is no other flasher on the market that has the pin for the TSCU.

I do cafe racers of every size.
            Your bike appears to be very nicely done, but it is so ANTI-"cafe racer". The "cafe racer" concept was born by a bunch of guys that were stripping anything off their bikes that did not make it go faster, handle better or stop faster, in the quest of getting to the next cafe first. Your fairing is pushing the envelope on the basic concept, but it can add a bit of streamlining, which would make it quicker. However, the bags and trunk are another matter entirely.

Personally, I would say that the change in fairing would make the bike more of a "sport tourer", with the emphasis more on "tourer" than "sport".

It's also interesting to see it done in the "Cooley" blue and white, but overall, I like it.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well thank you all, consider it a Gentleman's velocipede. A GPz1100, a Honda CBR1100 Bol d'Or. The only weight that's come out of it has been the fairing. I'm not overly impressed with the AirTech 900SS fairing, the handlebar gap isn't quite wide enough to accommodate the space the bars need to go through their full arc so some creative fitting was needed to get it to fit...

you are right about it having to be a Suzuki flasher, perhaps sometime I'll learn about what's special inside.

Also needing a fully charged battery......

im now waiting for a pair of surface mount tungsten filament surface mount indicators, LEDs are too complicated and I'll be good.

Comment

Steve, I've seen your description of the flasher unit, third pin.... I understand, thank you.

Comment

LED blinker 'bulbs' are possible, but will require some adaptation. One way is to also add some load resistors, which simulate the load of incandescent bulbs and maintain the same flash rate. If you are switching to LEDs to save some power, this will negate that effort, as it still draws the same load. One other way is to get creative with the flasher unit. I am using a prototype unit from another member that has allowed me to install a flasher unit that is proper for LEDs, but still retains my TSCU and my auto-cancel. I think I have heard that this prototype is not going to go into production, so some experimentation will have to be done. It is basically a small solid-state relay that controls the ground (in this case, it's the third pin) for the flasher unit. By using the TSCU to lift the ground to the flasher, the flashing stops.

Since that is beyond the scope of most of us, sticking with the incandescent bulbs is probably best.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Dear all.

success (of a sort) at last. Surface mount incandescent lights arrived and duly wired in. Battery fully charged and new reg/rec with 13.5v charging.

suzuki 3pin flasher relay would flash, but strangely only when the engine wasn't running.... start the engine and no flashy lighty thingys.

swapped the Suzuki 3pin phlasher relay (heady with excitement and a couple of beers) for a no-name two prong relay and lo! Lights go flashy-flashy even with the engine running. Woohoo!

so, I do without self-cancelling indicators. No great hardship as no other bike I have had has had self-cancelling indicators. Can you miss something you have not got nor have never had?

i presume there is some fault in the black box that cancels the indicators but having worked around the problem I won't be trying to track it down.

been out on it today, the GS1100 is everything I remember UJM litrebikes to be. Big, docile unless thrashed, comfortable, torqueful. The short handlebars make the whole feel very planted. Very pleased.

roll on summer

Comment

Dear all.

success (of a sort) at last. Surface mount incandescent lights arrived and duly wired in. Battery fully charged and new reg/rec with 13.5v charging.

suzuki 3pin flasher relay would flash, but strangely only when the engine wasn't running.... start the engine and no flashy lighty thingys.

swapped the Suzuki 3pin phlasher relay (heady with excitement and a couple of beers) for a no-name two prong relay and lo! Lights go flashy-flashy even with the engine running. Woohoo!

so, I do without self-cancelling indicators. No great hardship as no other bike I have had has had self-cancelling indicators. Can you miss something you have not got nor have never had?

i presume there is some fault in the black box that cancels the indicators but having worked around the problem I won't be trying to track it down.

been out on it today, the GS1100 is everything I remember UJM litrebikes to be. Big, docile unless thrashed, comfortable, torqueful. The short handlebars make the whole feel very planted. Very pleased.

roll on summer
                      If you remove the black box and jumper the third pin of the flasher to ground the turn signals will work, and more importantly you can use an LED flasher from Autozone or Ebay. If you have a bike with a single "Turn" light in the gauges you need to either cut the light green and black leads to the bulb, or put diodes in series with both wires from the flasher to one lead of the bulb, and ground the other bulb lead. Otherwise both sides flash in either direction....
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                      X