Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has two thumbs and needs a new stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right off the bat I have questions.

The wires coming from my R/R...I thought I was supposed to have 3? I have 4. (plus the b/w wire going to a grounding point on the battery cage)

those same wires route upward here:

then continue on to what used to be a connector which was fried so i just bypassed it and soldered/heat shrunk everything:

which continues to the left and then ties into another part of the harness:

R/R ground, a nasty looking one at that. this should be removed from here and instead go straight to the battery i believe.

i have a new stator on the way, and a compufire r/r. i'll do some research on how to connect them together and to my bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

You should have 3 that go right to the stator one that goes to power and the ground. So 3 colored wires, a red and a black that may have a stripe.

Comment

wow, sure a lot of corrosion in the pictures...
        youve cleaning to do
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

What corrosion do you see besides the grounding screw area and the bottom of battery box?
          Originally posted by derwood View Post
          wow, sure a lot of corrosion in the pictures...
          youve cleaning to do

Comment

Ok thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
            You should have 3 that go right to the stator one that goes to power and the ground. So 3 colored wires, a red and a black that may have a stripe.

Comment

If you havent already you should check out the first couple of posts in this thread especially the part about grounding. I had to read it a few times to get it but it makes sense and since you are going to be hooking it up from scratch anyway its a good time to do it.
              Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Haha, yes it was

Originally posted by eil View Post
                Happy birthday!

I guess your birthday present to yourself is a new stator?

Comment

Well I tested my stator using this part of the stator papers (I had already determined my battery was not charging via the Quick Test) and I got zilch for a reading. Nothing. No Ohm measurement period.

Also one of the bullet connectors that attached to one of the stator wires fell off - it was fried. Toasty fried. So there's that. I need to pick up a crimping tool. Any suggestions for a semi-inexpensive one that I can use?

Step 2 - Further testing of the stator

If the previous test has shown that our beloved stator is suspect, we will measure resistance between all pairs of the stator and between each lead and the stator center (with the engine turned OFF). In all cases we should see a low resistance or continuity between the 3 legs, testing them in pairs. We should not have a resistance reading of infinity ('open') or zero (short). Instead you should see a resistance reading that is within 0.5 to 2.0 Ohms If there is a short or open, somewhere isolation has been damaged (probably melted) and we have a useless stator.

Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

For your different bolts, I just draw pic of the cover on cardboard and stick the bolts in cardboard in the correct place.
                    For my sprocket cover I have used the same cardboard several times.

Comment

I will second (third? fourth?) the idea that the stator should be connected directly to the R/R. That does not mean that they have to be soldered (personally, I prefer a good connector), just that they don't need to take any detours on the way.

One of those detours is the infamous "stator loop" that is under your gas tank. Next time you have the tank off, look in the area just to the right of the right-side coil, you will see a 9-pin connector. If you look at the side of the connector that is toward the back of the bike, you will see a white wire with a red stripe and a white wire with a green stripe. On the other side of that connector, you will see a short wire that simply loops between those two wires. The recommendation is to separate the white/green and white/red connectors (might be your soldered connectors or the ones shown in post #23) and connect that stator wire directly to the R/R, instead of sending it up under the tank.

With your new stator, it will be very easy to accomplish the task. Just locate the three wires that are not red or black on your R/R, connect them directly to the stator wires.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can pick up a good ratcheting crimper from www.vintageconnections.com for $35
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If I'm understanding you correctly, the three wires pictured in post 23 (yellow, white w/green and white w/blue) would be abandoned because I would be wiring the 3 wires from my stator directly to the R/R?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I will second (third? fourth?) the idea that the stator should be connected directly to the R/R. That does not mean that they have to be soldered (personally, I prefer a good connector), just that they don't need to take any detours on the way.

One of those detours is the infamous "stator loop" that is under your gas tank. Next time you have the tank off, look in the area just to the right of the right-side coil, you will see a 9-pin connector. If you look at the side of the connector that is toward the back of the bike, you will see a white wire with a red stripe and a white wire with a green stripe. On the other side of that connector, you will see a short wire that simply loops between those two wires. The recommendation is to separate the white/green and white/red connectors (might be your soldered connectors or the ones shown in post #23) and connect that stator wire directly to the R/R, instead of sending it up under the tank.

With your new stator, it will be very easy to accomplish the task. Just locate the three wires that are not red or black on your R/R, connect them directly to the stator wires.

Comment

Working...
                          X