Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil compatability between

the GS1000E and the rest of the herd.

I am looking to see if any other coils will work on my 1000.

Anybody have any 1st hand knowledge as to whether I can use coils from the units with electronic ignition or do I have to stick to coils from a points ignition?

Sorry if this has been covered already. Didn't do a thorough search due to time constraints.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

The coils on the bikes with electronic ignition typically have a lower resistance, meaning that a little more current will flow through them. That is one reason that electronic ignition can put out a better spark.

If your bike still has points and you install one of the lower-resistance coils, you stand a chance of burning your points earlier, due to the extra current. You can probably go down to the auto parts store and get a 2 ohm "ballast resistor" for each coil and be just fine. They may ask you what car it's for, it's up to you whether you blow their mind by saying it's for a motorcycle.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      They may ask you what car it's for, it's up to you whether you blow their mind by saying it's for a motorcycle.

I often go to my local auto parts store in search of oddball things to use on bikes. The younger guy there tries to run away when I enter the store whilst the older chap seems to relish the challenge of fishing through the dusty old boxes on the parts shelves in search of things they've had there for years.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
      X