Can ignition leads be changed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can ignition leads be changed ?

Hi I have 85 gsx 550 and I have a few problems. I have had some bad connections between the spark plug cap and the ignition leads. As a result the leads have melted at the end, and to get connection I need to cut the end of the leads but they are already very short.
    Can the leads be disconnected from the coils and changed ?

Probably easier to get a used ignition coil set off ebay or local boneyard. Add some new plug caps too.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes they can by carefully picking out the epoxy resin that holds the wires in place. There is a center post in there, so be careful to not break it off when digging.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Yes it is possible to change the leads. It is a matter of just how much work to want to get involved with.

I changed the leads on one coil and the original epoxy digging out was a real b*%ch. Then I put a new lead in with rtv sealant -- only to find out after the fact that I bought the wrong type lead wire and had to dig it out again. The 2nd time was slightly easier than the 1st, but still no fun.

Then I got the correct solid core wire and installed using epoxy putty -- only to find out I still wasn't getting the continuity needed to be useable. Now I am looking for a replacement coil for the one side or else a complete new pair of coils.

This would be a good time for me to change my ignition from points to electronic.

Hope my bad fortune helps you with your project. Good luck.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Thanks for all your reply. Maybe I will give the project it a try.

Comment

Working...
          X