Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450T Ground Locations

Hi All!
    I have a 9181 gs450t that had some electrical issues when I got it. The (-) lead wasn't grounded properly - the PO just had it stick inside the rear brake petal area...

So, i am going through and trying to ground everything properly and solder on new wire where needed. I know that I can ground test and basically place the grounds anywhere that pass, but I would like to get this thing as close to its original state as possible before changing things up. So, i was wondering, does anyone know where the original grounds on this bike were meant to go? Does someone with the same model possible have pictures they can post?

I ordered a clymer, haynes, and the original service manual to help me rebuild my bike, but based on what I've seen from manuals of other GSs they didn't show this information. On top of that, the wiring diagrams only state that a wire was grounded, not necessarily where.

Thank you

Take some time to search for "single point grounding". The idea is that all the grounds should be located together instead of relying on the the frame/engine case to link them.

I'm just speaking from memory, but you should have four grounds: from the battery, from the R/R, from the ignition, and from the body harness (lights, horn, etc). Ideally these should be tied together with the R/R ground as short as possible. Most people use the R/R case as the single ground point.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
      Take some time to search for "single point grounding". The idea is that all the grounds should be located together instead of relying on the the frame/engine case to link them.

I'm just speaking from memory, but you should have four grounds: from the battery, from the R/R, from the ignition, and from the body harness (lights, horn, etc). Ideally these should be tied together with the R/R ground as short as possible. Most people use the R/R case as the single ground point.
      OK, I'll look into this. Thank you.

Comment

I think it's the same on the T models but there should be a tab on the rear battery tray mounting bracket that a bunch of stuff is grounded on.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
          I think it's the same on the T models but there should be a tab on the rear battery tray mounting bracket that a bunch of stuff is grounded on.
          Cool. I can't see my bike everyday since it's at a friend's house, but I'll take a look for that the next time I'm working on it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X