no starting, just clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no starting, just clicking

So the other day after i put the carbs back on the bike, i started it right up no problem, had it running for a minute or two then shut it down (The bike hadn't been started in weeks prior). but then when i went to start it again all i got was a clicking noise... no cranking just clicking. Ive been thinking that i needed to replace my battery as i dont know how old it is and i feel like after a few times of not getting the bike to start it would just lose power. I have ordered a new solenoid because i think that where the clicking was coming from. figured i would try there before heading to the starter. any thoughts on anything else that might be the issue?
    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Try jumping the solenoid if you do that and it starts then you probably have a bad solenoid. But if nothing happens it could be your starter.

Comment

The problem is not with the solenoid. The problem is that the battery has insufficient power to keep it engaged.

Before replacing the solenoid, check the battery. You already stated you don't know its condition, but a simple test with a voltmeter will tell you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok guys so i replaced the battery and the solenoid(since i had already purchased it) and still just clicking. before i replaced anything i tried starting it up, hadn't tried since i last wrote this. and it almost started but then went back to clicking. at one point the clicking came from the starter and now its coming from the solenoid... so im all confused. If i do pull the starter out what should i look for. and is it better to replace the whole thing or do a rebuildon it?
        1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Could be the starter motor. Here's my thread from a couple of years ago, the brushes had worn out:

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

and here's another similar thread:

A rebuild kit from starterstockers did the trick for me, about $35 and pretty straight forward the part numbers are somewhere in the threads above.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

clean-up of the starter motor often helps.

Best is: Take it out, take it apart, clean the carbon dust out, a little grease on bearings but especiallly , inspect the brushes. Bench test it (as below) before putting it back in.

Starter motors commonly wear their brushes out. You can find a brush set online. Often that's the most they need...I can't say for how long though. I've never myself yet seen the 35 year old glue that holds the magnets fail, but I have seen it on other makes and one wonders if these also may all fall apart like cinderella at year 40!!

you can skip the take apart and first try it on a car battery as a preliminary, just to see if that's the problem per Starting The Bike.. ...sometimes, they sort of fall asleep from disuse and a kick is all they need. The case is "ground" and the bolt the wire attaches to is positive. Hold on tight. It'll spin right out of your hands if not held .

But even so, since you have it out and it's a bother to do , and if you are reasonably good at apart-and-together projects, you should "take it apart and clean it up". If the brushes are getting worn (being different lengths is often a clue-you can tell by looking close at how they spring towards commutator too-how much "room" is left) order new ones and put them in next rainy day.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-06-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

ok i think im going to pull the starter out, but it looks like there is something in the way, i think its the chain tensioner. can i just take that off or will oil start pouring out? and where is a good place to get a rebuild kit?
              1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

No oil will come out. Best to lock tensioner in place before removal. As far as I know, you'll need to remove carbs too to add to fun. Take pics of cable hookups- you might need them later!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Before you go through all that trouble, try something that is cheap and easy.

Hopefully you have a test light (MUCH easier) or a voltmeter. Clip the test light lead (black meter lead) to the battery negative terminal. Not a chassis mount, the battery terminal. Touch the battery terminal of the starter solenoid, the light should come ON (voltmeter would show about 12 volts). Turn the ignition key ON, move your test light to the starter terminal of the solenoid, press the starter button, the light should come ON. If you can't remove the cover over the starter to access the starter terminal, poke your test light through the insulation as close as possible to the starter, press the starter button again. If it still comes on, touch your test light to the crankcase and push the button. You should NOT see the light come on. If it does, your engine is not grounded to the battery.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Before you go through all that trouble, try something that is cheap and easy.

Hopefully you have a test light (MUCH easier) or a voltmeter. Clip the test light lead (black meter lead) to the battery negative terminal. Not a chassis mount, the battery terminal. Touch the battery terminal of the starter solenoid, the light should come ON (voltmeter would show about 12 volts). Turn the ignition key ON, move your test light to the starter terminal of the solenoid, press the starter button, the light should come ON. If you can't remove the cover over the starter to access the starter terminal, poke your test light through the insulation as close as possible to the starter, press the starter button again. If it still comes on, touch your test light to the crankcase and push the button. You should NOT see the light come on. If it does, your engine is not grounded to the battery.

Thanks ill give this a try, i wanted to try this but couldnt find my test light until i had reassembled everything... figures right
                    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      No oil will come out. Best to lock tensioner in place before removal. As far as I know, you'll need to remove carbs too to add to fun. Take pics of cable hookups- you might need them later!
                      im not sure i fully understand what you mean by locking the tensioner in place? is there a write up on how to do this? i just got my stater reapir kit in today and want to get to taking out as soon as i can
                      1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

You don't need to remove the carbs to get the tensioner and then starter out. By `locking in place' he is referring to the camchain tensioner pushrod (plunger). You loosen the 12mm nut, tighten the lock screw (to lock it), and then remove the tensioner. Once you've pulled/inspected/fixed and reinstalled the starter motor, to reinstall the tensioner you:

1. Loosen the lockscrew
                        2. Turn the large `knurled' nut ALL the way out while pushing the plunger IN. Hold in in and tighten the lockscrew.
                        3. Bolt it onto the engine.
                        4. Back out the lockscrew just until you hear/feel the plunger snap foward and then back it out another 1/8 - 1/4 turn.
                        5. Tighten up the lock nut holding the lockscrew in place.
                        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                        1977 GS550

Comment

1499361275055.jpg
                          ok so i loosen the nut and compress the spring and then put the nut back in place? what do you mean to bolt it to the engine?
                          1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Small correction here:
                            Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                            Once you've pulled/inspected/fixed and reinstalled the starter motor, to reinstall the tensioner you:

1. Loosen the locknut
                            2. Turn the large `knurled' nut ALL the way out while pushing the plunger IN. Hold in in and tighten the setscrew.
                            3. Bolt it onto the engine.
                            4. Back out the setscrew just until you hear/feel the plunger snap foward.
                            4a. Turn the setscrew IN until it touches, THEN back it out 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
                            5. Tighten up the lock nut holding the setscrew in place.
                            sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve for setting the terminology straight. In Step 1 - I did mean `Loosen the setscrew' as it would have been tightened upon removal and you need to back it out in order to depress the plunger for reassembly.

Originally posted by SilentRaven View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]51837[/ATTACH]
                              ok so i loosen the nut and compress the spring and then put the nut back in place? what do you mean to bolt it to the engine?
                              Not the nut in the picture. On the other side of the tensioner there is a set screw, around which there is a locknut. To remove the tensioner, loosen the locknut and tighten the lockscrew. Then the tensioner comes off via three bolts to the cylinder. You don't have to do anything with the spring until you are reinstalling the tensioner.

By bolt it back to the engine I mean reattach it to the cylinder with the three bolts.
                              1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
                              X