No announcement yet.

no starting, just clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok thats a bit clearer, makes sense now as i was looking at the wrong side... and its still pretty early.
    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Try this link

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks tom203. the article says to have the engine at top dead center, and i looked at the diagram on there, but my engine isnt quite the same as the two shown. it looks similar to the 'early electronic ignition' but doesnt have a "T" mark.... it does have the little window but not marks anywhere on the wheel
        1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

20170711_202148.jpg this is what im looking at, sorry its sideways. im thinking i need to line up the "dot" next to the center bolt with the small line next to the screw. just looking for verification on this before i precede
          1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

While it's best to have it at TDC , it's not required. Just tighten the slotted lock screw in place (to hold plunger) and remove tensioner . Follow the instructions on reseting and reinstalling it. Do not spin engine while it's out!
            I have not seen that style of signal generator rotor with the hole in it.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

ok so i pulled the starter out so i could swap out the new repair kit pieces with the old. and i think i found part of the issue. besides being completely dirty, one of the magnets from the inner wall has come loose and is partly broken.... does this mean i need a new starter? or is there a way to fix the one magnet?
              1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Yes, not worth the hassle of fixing yours. The difference with this ND starter is the rear end mount - internals are identical to others. Here is a claimed low mileage starter from a mainer off a gs550. Change the rear end mount and you should be good to go! I recall someone doing this years ago.

disclamer. I have bought from this seller with no issues bu he is NOT a relative or friend!
                1981 gs650L

Comment

yah thats what i was afraid of... i was looking at this one, its off a 450 and i could still use my repair kit if need be.

EDIT: i ordered that other one as its more local and has free shipping, fingers crossed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Motor-Suzuki-GS450-GS-450-80-83-GS650-GS-650-81-83-31100-44110-/191883009859?hash=item2cad1e5f43:g:PEIAAOSwQaJXSM9 s&vxp=mtr
                  Last edited by SilentRaven; 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM.
                  1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

update. got everything reinstalled but now the starter is just making a buzzing sound, kinda like a blender. i can tell that it is the sound of the starter spinning but thats all i get. i thought the battery might need some charging. but after an hour on the charger i still only get the blender noise...
                    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      clean-up of the starter motor often helps.

Best is: Take it out, take it apart, clean the carbon dust out, a little grease on bearings but especiallly , inspect the brushes. Bench test it (as below) before putting it back in.

Starter motors commonly wear their brushes out. You can find a brush set online. Often that's the most they need...I can't say for how long though. I've never myself yet seen the 35 year old glue that holds the magnets fail, but I have seen it on other makes and one wonders if these also may all fall apart like cinderella at year 40!!
                      One of the magnets in my starter shattered to pieces, back in the 80's. Due the cost of a new starter, I removed all of the magnet piece, reassembled, and it still works just fine today.!

Comment

still looking for thoughts on what i should check out next. what is this blender noise?
                        1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Buzzing sound? So starter motor is turning but is it engaging starter clutch? You did put the intermediate gear assembly back in. (so it can spin starter clutch)
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

took a quick video of what is going on
                            1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

You need to remove stator cover and inspect starter clutch assembly - it needs to be driven in counterclockwise direction to engage crankshaft .Facing shaft end, the starter motor turns counterclockwise -
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

i pulled the stator cover off and everything seems to be in place and the stator looks to be in good condition as well. the starter is spinning the gears just fine but nothing kicking over still. do i need to replace the clutch assembly? or just make sure it's working? not sure i follow what you mean by driving the crankshaft
                                1981 Suzuki 's 450t starter not engaging after rebuilding the starter. Not sure why.
                                1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X