No announcement yet.

no starting, just clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big gear on rotor needs to spin counterclockwise to engage crankshaft (and turn motor). Your's is not. The intermediate gear layout is odd here, but my eyes might be fooling me. Can you remove the intermediate gear assembly and post a pic of it? Starter motor needs to turn cc too.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

is it possible that if i had put the out body of the starter on the wrong way that the magnets would cause it to spin the opposite direction? what other reason would there be for it to spin clockwise instead of counter cw?
      1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

so that is exactly what it was, the starter body was 'upside down' took it apart and filled it over. reinstalled and it started right up!!!

thank you all for your help in this matter!
        1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Yes, DC motors can run either direction, depending on brush orientation on commutator . I'm glad that you persevered. Now reward yourself by catching up on all the maintenance (after some riding of course).
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X