Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery not charging

quick question here I have a GS850G here from about 84 or 85 I think
    I have changed the alternator and also the Reg/rectifier unit for a honda one because that was was on it when I bought the bike so I sourced another one of ebay and purchased one that said it was for a CBR600
    but still I have a charging issue as the battery is not taking a charge from the bike but it seems to be kicking out power and the only way I can get it to run is to charge the battery up on a home charging unit

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
    quick question here I have a GS850G here from about 84 or 85 I think
    I have changed the alternator and also the Reg/rectifier unit for a honda one because that was was on it when I bought the bike so I sourced another one of ebay and purchased one that said it was for a CBR600
    but still I have a charging issue as the battery is not taking a charge from the bike but it seems to be kicking out power and the only way I can get it to run is to charge the battery up on a home charging unit
    What does the voltmeter read when hooked to the battery terminals set on VDC? Idling? Revving it up to 5k? What does the voltmeter set on VAC read when you test the three stator leads, 1-2 ,1-3, 2-3 while running and increasing the rpm up to 5k?
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

as above^^ but seeing as all your stuff is new, the first thing is to double check you have connected properly...
      Reg/rectifier unit for a honda one because that was was on it when I bought the bike so I sourced another one of ebay and purchased one that said it was for a CBR600
      ok, hopefully has Honda colour code- is 3x yellow for stator ,green to "ground", black to suzuki's tailight's wire(brown)? or any other "+" power that is switched on with key..(this is the sensor wire and tells the Honda regulator when to charge) double-check. Also, double check you have the correct new stator. If there was any doubt when you were buying it, be sure it has the same number of "poles" (aka: the number of "towers" with wire wound on them)

I ALWAYS go back to the last thing I did when things do not go as expected ...
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-16-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Quick Test

Comment

Me and a friend have check this now and what it's reading when the engine is raved is that with the regulator/rectifier disconnected is saying 13v but when it's connected to the battery it drops to 11v
          is this due to a faulty battery because it's an old lead acid battery over two years old but when it's charge from a battery charger the battery holds the charge

Comment

If you did the quick test you would see that the battery needs to be charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              as above^^ but seeing as all your stuff is new, the first thing is to double check you have connected properly...

ok, hopefully has Honda colour code- is 3x yellow for stator ,green to "ground", black to suzuki's tailight's wire(brown)? or any other "+" power that is switched on with key..(this is the sensor wire and tells the Honda regulator when to charge) double-check. Also, double check you have the correct new stator. If there was any doubt when you were buying it, be sure it has the same number of "poles" (aka: the number of "towers" with wire wound on them)
              Yess all fitted correctly and its a the same alternator as what was in it with the same number of towers

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              If you did the quick test you would see that the battery needs to be charged.
              Really as the battery is fully charged from the battery charger, but the problem is its not charging from the bike
              Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Yess all fitted correctly and its a the same alternator as what was in it with the same number of towers

Really as the battery is fully charged from the battery charger, but the problem is its not charging from the bike
                The battery has to be in good condition and charged. As you did not follow the most basic instructions, I have to ask if you have any idea if "good battery" applies to you?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I have to ask if you have any idea if "good battery" applies to you?
                  This why I am asking on here if its a good battery or not and for the third time now the battery takes a charge from a charge but not from the bike

Comment

This why I am asking on here if its a good battery or not and for the third time now the battery takes a charge from a charge but not from the bike
                    So you have no idea, but you fail to do the most basic test to verify the battery.

As far as I know, nobody on the website is clairvoyant and can tell if your battery is good.

Comment

does anyone else have any ideas because of course I have done the basic tests otherwise I would not be asking on here
                      But I'm beginning to see why Posplayr has so many posts from reading his other comments on the forum so I think I will just ignore him now and await others with more positive responses

Comment

does anyone else have any ideas because of course I have done the basic tests otherwise I would not be asking on here
                        But I'm beginning to see why Posplayr has so many posts from reading his other comments on the forum so I think I will just ignore him now and await others with more positive responses
                        That would be a big mistake. Making the proper measurements is the ONLY way to verify what the source of the problem is.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          That would be a big mistake. Making the proper measurements is the ONLY way to verify what the source of the problem is.
                          I think he should wait for the clairvoyants

Comment

Not a good idea. He's the electrical Einstein on the forum. Come on posplayr. Walk him through it.........
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              Not a good idea. He's the electrical Einstein on the forum. Come on posplayr. Walk him through it.........
                              He tried to with his 1st response but the OP just ignored it.

It was even printed in "red" ---- Quick test.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X