No announcement yet.

battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay let's simplify. Nobody, do these tests { from posplayr's quick test } and report your results for the six tests. And then do whatever the Hell posplayr tells you to do.....

Quick Test Steps:

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v)
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      Okay let's simplify. Nobody, do these tests { from posplayr's quick test } and report your results for the six tests. And then do whatever the Hell posplayr tells you to do.....

Quick Test Steps:

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v)
      I know you are trying to help but you left off the most important part how to diagnose.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        I know you are trying to help but you left off the most important part how to diagnose.
        posplayr. I'm an electrical idiot too. { I had a hard time figuring out which part of the diagnosis meant what } But I know enough to do what you say to do. Can't you just cut the guy some slack and tell him if his battery is hooped when he posts up his results ?
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          posplayr. I'm an electrical idiot too. { I had a hard time figuring out which part of the diagnosis meant what } But I know enough to do what you say to do. Can't you just cut the guy some slack and tell him if his battery is hooped when he posts up his results ?
          I'm with you. I had already been stranded before listening to posplayr. Now I have no charging fears. He is the "blunt friend" that everyone needs. (But I am waiting to see what the "most important part" is). Haha
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Take the battery to a local shop and have them load test the battery. If they say it's good, then you have a problem somewhere on the bike and not with your home charger. Your home charger is providing power to the battery while it has no draw. When your bike is running, your charging system may be putting out voltage, but not enough to over come the draw and charge up the battery. Also you may have something draining the battery, but since you have it on a home charger it doesn't drain the battery.
            :cool:GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
              I'm with you. I had already been stranded before listening to posplayr. Now I have no charging fears. He is the "blunt friend" that everyone needs. (But I am waiting to see what the "most important part" is). Haha
              Having someone that knows what they are doing?

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                First line of the Quick Test diagnostics says to compare first two measurements to see if battery is good.

he could pull the battery out and take it to a parts store as well but the QT is still faster.

if OP thinks can charge a battery with a trickle charger maybe the parts store is the best place for him.
                Last edited by posplayr; 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  First line of the Quick Test diagnostics says to compare first two measurements to see if battery is good.

he could pull the battery out and take it to a parts store as well but the QT is still faster.

if OP thinks can charge a battery with a trickle charger maybe the parts store is the best place for him.
                  It is when you find out your battery is junk.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                  X