Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which cdi units can I use on a 650gs?

Hello.

As the title implies, I'm in search of a usable cdi unit. I measured from the electrical diagram that the ohm resistance is comming from a light brown wire from the cdi when the bike is either off, on or on with kill switch clicked to start position.

Oh, and the bike is a spark no start. Carbs where cleaned and put back on, battery good 12.6v and sounds healthy when cranked over, but no spark even with ether.

I got some numbers on my cdi unit, if they are of some importance 32900-34210, and 131100-2631 below.

Regards,
    Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2017, 06:01 PM. Reason: Additional information

Just get a Dyna. That is what I did.

Comment

By "no spark" , I assume you mean engine is not coming to life? But have you actually checked for good spark at spark plugs? Are plug wires on correct plugs? Left ignition coil fires 1 and 4

If no sign of spark at plugs doublecheck connections from signal coils to ignitor,and on to ignition coils.
      This particular ignitor unit is very durable,so you might find a reasonably priced used unit, but last time that I checked prices were about $75 us. The dyna is probably your best option
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

To actually install a true CDI, you will have to change virtually all of the ignition system. However, if you are just wanting to replace the IGNITOR, it is best to get another one of the same number.

Sorry to have to point this out time after time on the forum, but none of the GS bikes ever left the factory with a CDI. "CDI" stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition, where a capacitor is charged to 30-40,000 volts, then discharged when a trigger tells it the crank is in the proper position to receive the spark. Our bikes have a standard IDI, or Inductive Discharge Ignition, where coils are used, not a capacitor. A magnetic field is created in the coil. In older bikes, points were used to stop the current that was creating the magnetic field. The collapsing magnetic field is what caused the spark. Our bikes have replaced the mechanical points with a box full of transistors that basically do the same job. That box of transistors is called the IGNITOR. In your case, it happens to be part number 32900-34210. Because it happens to be electronic, many people automatically mis-label it by the magic term "CDI".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your olde ignitor has a number on it, try to match that with the used GS ignitors on ebay.
          I went through his last summer and found one, but eventually discovered the problem was the olde coil would cut out after getting hot. Replaced that and the problem was gone.
          1982 GS1100G- road bike
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            By "no spark" , I assume you mean engine is not coming to life? But have you actually checked for good spark at spark plugs? Are plug wires on correct plugs? Left ignition coil fires 1 and 4

If no sign of spark at plugs doublecheck connections from signal coils to ignitor,and on to ignition coils.
            This particular ignitor unit is very durable,so you might find a reasonably priced used unit, but last time that I checked prices were about $75 us. The dyna is probably your best option
            Yes, the engine will not start. I have checked the coils and coil wires for sufficient current, and they checked out. By the way, which dyna option are you reffering to?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            To actually install a true CDI, you will have to change virtually all of the ignition system. However, if you are just wanting to replace the IGNITOR, it is best to get another one of the same number.

Sorry to have to point this out time after time on the forum, but none of the GS bikes ever left the factory with a CDI. "CDI" stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition, where a capacitor is charged to 30-40,000 volts, then discharged when a trigger tells it the crank is in the proper position to receive the spark. Our bikes have a standard IDI, or Inductive Discharge Ignition, where coils are used, not a capacitor. A magnetic field is created in the coil. In older bikes, points were used to stop the current that was creating the magnetic field. The collapsing magnetic field is what caused the spark. Our bikes have replaced the mechanical points with a box full of transistors that basically do the same job. That box of transistors is called the IGNITOR. In your case, it happens to be part number 32900-34210. Because it happens to be electronic, many people automatically mis-label it by the magic term "CDI".

I'm comming from a diesel experience, and the only motorbike engine I've had was a 400cc ATV with a cdi unit.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Your olde ignitor has a number on it, try to match that with the used GS ignitors on ebay.
            I went through his last summer and found one, but eventually discovered the problem was the olde coil would cut out after getting hot. Replaced that and the problem was gone.
            Sure thing, I will.

Comment

Originally posted by Bortasqu View Post
              ... I'm comming from a diesel experience, and the only motorbike engine I've had was a 400cc ATV with a cdi unit. ...
              You never know what someone's experience is, which is why I try to explain and educate.

What ATV did you have with a CDI? I was not aware that CDI made it into the ATV industry, but I am not familiar with what might be available in your area.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                You never know what someone's experience is, which is why I try to explain and educate.

What ATV did you have with a CDI? I was not aware that CDI made it into the ATV industry, but I am not familiar with what might be available in your area.

It was a 2013 TGB Blade 425, it's an ATV I will never reccomend again to someone else for large reliability reasons. It saw more time in the workshop than on the road.

But anyway, I've contacted a fleabay seller from UK with a ignitor called 131100-2630, which is 1 digit difference than my old one, but it came from a 650gs so it should work out.

Comment

Working...
                X