X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs550 not running properly

Originally posted by danbobberino View Post
    Evening.

I bought a 79 Suzuki GS550 at the end of April. It ran when I got it but wasn't running well. I've been tinkering on it since.

What I've done so far:
    • replaced the petcock
    • stripped carbs completely and soaked for 24 hours in carb cleaner (thats a lie, I didn't disassemble the slide/jet needle assembly because I thought it would mess with the sync and I had no way to sync it when I did this)
    • new Suzuki needle valves and seats
    • new Suzuki floats (25mm between carb body and float on both sides)
    • new gaskets on top and bottom of carbs
    • new o-ring kit from Robert
    • new o-rings for intake boots
    • Fuel screw turned out 7/8 of a turn and air screws 1.5 turns out (not sure of factory settings)
    • new spark plugs and the caps that screw on the end of the wires
    • synced the carbs
    • after this I ran a bunch of tanks of seafoam through the bike.
    • checked shim/cam clearances for valves and replaced shims so they are all between 2 and 3 thousandths
    • installed new stator
    • installed used SH775BA
    • installed new battery
    • set the points/gaps
    • new clutch cable
    • oil filter/oil change multiple times (mostly due to having issues with stator haha)
    • put on a new flasher relay and took off the awful LED turn signals and installed my friends old Yamaha turn signals (those stupid ugly LED turn signals actually wrecked multiple LED flasher relays)

So I may have done things a little out of order but the very last thing I just finished on that list were the valves....

So here is my issue. While I am driving the motorcycle, at times it seems to run perfect and at times it hesitates/bogs. Even when the bike was running it's best, the fastest I was able to drive it was 120 KPH (75MPH).

Tonight I took the bike out for a drive and as I started out it did the usual hesitating/bogging thing. At one point it was like all the stars aligned and the bike drove so well - it had more power than it ever has before. I took it out of the highway and got it up to 140 KPH (87 MPH) and probably could have pushed it harder.... (I am assuming this had something to do with me doing the valves?). It seems like my chances of it running best is after its warmed up (not just a little bit warm but hot). Anyways, I really noticed tonight when it was running its best it accelerated really well between 7K and 9K RPMs which it hasn't done before which was great. I think the motorcycle runs best in the lower RPMS.

Anyways, after continuing to drive it, it sort of goes back and forth between running good and then hesitating/bogging. It might just be my mind making it up, but the bike sounds better (louder and throatier) when it is running great.

As I am driving it, every once in a while, I hear a bit of a noise. It almost reminds me of sand being crunched between your teeth. Sounds like possibly a small piece of grit is being sucked through something? Or grinded a little bit? Doesn't happen very often... Not sure if this has anything to do with the bike not running great?

Anyways, I am kind of out of ideas as what to do. The bike is completely stock - air box/carbs/exhaust. I may not have the pilot circuit set correctly....

I am thinking of taking the carbs apart and again and cleaning them. My friend has a parts cleaner and has offered to let me use it. I live in Canada and had a hard time finding the recommended carb cleaner to use. After I cleaned the carbs I was sucking/blowing through the vent lines (that attach to the top of the airbox) and one had some dirt in it I sucked out....

Anyway, before April I new nothing about motorcycles or mechanics in general (I am an electrician which helps with the electrical side but that's about it). I have no idea what to do next to fix the problem. It's really no fun to drive and bothers me a lot because it's not working properly. I am at the point I'd almost like to find a good mechanic to take it too but I really shouldn't spend the money and part of the reason I bought the motorcycle was because I wanted to learn how to wrench on it and get into it with my son when he gets older (he is 2 and has a brother on the way).

In my very limited expertise, my thinking is it must be some sort of an air/fuel mixture issue? What do you guys think and what do you think I can do next to try to fix the issue?
    i put this post in the carb/fuel/exhaust section. They said it was probably an electric issue - possibly points/condensers/could.

i installed a new condenser and it runs worse. What do I all need to switch to a dyna? I know nothing about it..... give me the rookie play by play please.

There are two types of dyna depending on whether you have a ND or KD setup ..read this

If you aren't sure what type you have post a pic on here of your points plate and someone will tell you
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The sound you hear might be detonation. I have described it as small gravel in the cylinder head. A lean condition like that could easily cause inconsistent acceleration. If you ever feel like the bike is not accelerating properly at highway speeds and you roll off the throttle then back on and it accelerates better, it is a classic symptom of a lean condition.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Would highly recommend the dyna s, I did it on my 77 550, its super easy to install and as long as you have a test light it's easy to set your static timing. If you have the extra funds I'd spring for the dyna coils and plug wires as well, the original coil and wires are soldered together. Sometimes a bad plug wire is easily overlooked. As far as installing it this video helped me out. He talks a lot at the begining so skip a few minutes ahead. He does a good job explaining it I thought. https://youtu.be/GhB5Ncn3DAs

Comment

Does anyone know if these 2 coils are interchangeable? 33410-45012 and 33410-45021.

If I am reading partzilla properly the 33410-45012 says it is for the ND ignition and the 33410-45021 is for the Kokusan. I believe I have the Kokusan (my condensers point "out" of the bike, they do not sit flat if that makes any sense.

I went to the suzuki dealership and ordered a coil but they sent me a 33410-45012 (which I believe is for the ND ignition but I think I have the Kokusan which if I'm reading partzilla properly needs the 33410-45021.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            There are two types of dyna depending on whether you have a ND or KD setup ..read this

If you aren't sure what type you have post a pic on here of your points plate and someone will tell you
            Are these links working? I think I have the Kokusan? If so how do I know if I need the DS2-2 or DS3-1? I'd assume I need the DC1-1 coils (3 ohm dual output) as well as DC-200 or DC-300 wires? Update: this link says it is the DS3-1 http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/cbsaun...c_ignition.pdf

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Danny_Nosbush/media/IMG_1418_zpsfkjr1ce4.jpg.html

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2017, 02:11 AM.

Comment

"I believe I have the Kokusan (my condensers point "out" of the bike, they do not sit flat"

yes the DS3-1 : like bwringer's writeup. You don't need to purchase new ignition coils unless you want to - the stock ones will work fine with the dyna.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So I purchased a new condenser and I ordered new breaker points.... at this point it would probably just be cheaper to get new coils...

Can anyone explain to me the difference in the coils between the 33410-45012 and the 33410-45021?

I know I have the Kokosan ignition and the coils that are paired with that are the 33410-45021.

The Nissan Densi ignition is the one I do not have and the coils that are paired with it are the 33410-45012.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the coils?

I was thinking of putting on the dyna S DS3-1 and the DC1-1 and the DC-200 but I'm looking at about $350 canadian to do that (when I already have new points and a new condenser - so if I buy new coils I should basically have a new ignition).

I am just having a bit of a hard time finding 33410-45021 coils that I need (eBay seems to have lots for the replacement part 33410-45012 which like I said is the ND). I actually have a brand new 33410-45012 which I ordered from Suzuki by accident.

Comment

You have to decide which ignition your going to run first. If you switch to the dyna s ignition then it should require 3ohm coils, I did and I used the 3 ohm green ones found here https://www.ebay.com/itm/380693575800 if you stay with the points setup you need higher impeadance coils to not burn the contacts if I remember right. The original suzuki coil impeadance is 4.3 so you would use the 5 ohm coils from dyna found here https://www.ebay.com/itm/380693575845 just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                  X