1978 gs 1000 died 3x times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs 1000 died 3x times

My 78 1000e was,running great and never gave me a electric problem.
    On a group ride about 90 miles out when we stopped to eat the bike was dead when I came out. Jumping with mc starter packs did no good. I purchased a new battery and the bike started right up. I rode another 150 miles to a hotel. The second day after a brief ride 35 miles the bike was difficult to start. The battery seemed weak. A short ride later 5 miles, the battery would not start the bike. I was on a hill and bump started the bike. It ran fine and I restarted it 2 x times without a problem that day. The last day when I went out to ride home again it would not start. weak battery, Again I bump started it and headed toward home. I rode 100 miles and turned off the bike. It started right up. I had 1 more stop and again It started up.
    It is not the battery? I think
    As long as the bike was running it was ok, this tells me the charging system is ok? I think
    everything is stock on the bike. No mods
    ideas?
    sigpic
    1982 CB900FS
    1979 CB750F
    1978 GS 1000E
    1978 GS 1000C
    2018 Goldwing dct tour

At the bottom of post 2 here youll see links about quick test etc etc. Click on them

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Does seem like the charging system is not charging the battery now. Maybe before it was marginal, but now is completely bad.

As with all electrical problems: Need a volt meter. Difficult to troubleshot an electrical problem with your eyeballs and ears. Need a meter to verify that is the problem. Then will need volt meter to check the stator, and other tests in the Stator Papers (back on homepage).

Last edited by Redman; 07-31-2017, 07:29 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Who knows of a stock looking volt meter I could us on my gs1000. I know they did not come with one and would like to install one. Ideas?
        sigpic
        1982 CB900FS
        1979 CB750F
        1978 GS 1000E
        1978 GS 1000C
        2018 Goldwing dct tour

Comment

Originally posted by Hango View Post
          Who knows of a stock looking volt meter I could us on my gs1000. I know they did not come with one and would like to install one. Ideas?
          Let me explain myself better: You will need a handheld test equipment type voltmeter. Maybe called multi-meter (cuse can also measure other things like current and resitance). You will need such a voltmeter to properly diagnos the charging system.

Having a dash panel volt meter mounted on board the bike is also good also to give you sooner warning (before dies on the road).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If it has the original separate rectifier and regulator you can bet it is not charging properly. Hopefully it is not overcharging because that usually takes out the stator also. The good news is that if it is fixed properly with a modern Series R/R and possibly a stator you shouldn't have any problems again.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
            X