Igniter toast? Possibly rebuild it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Igniter toast? Possibly rebuild it?

Hi, guys. New to the forum, so please overlook any faux pas. I have a 1982 Suzuki GS450L. I really have no idea what condition anything is in, since my father bought the bike about 5 years ago taken apart, and it's been sitting ever since. I've rebuilt a 1981 Honda CB750 pretty much from the ground up, so I am by no means new to the game, but definitely new to the GS side of things.

Right now, my goal is to get the thing to start, but I think I just cooked the igniter. I wired everything in, after verifying I was doing it correctly with a wiring diagram. PO had done some "work" to the wiring. Well, after putting the battery in, turning the killswitch on and attempting to fire the starter, I got just clicks. Fine, guess the battery was a little weak, though it's never had a problem firing my 750. That's when I noticed both some smoke and a delightful smell coming from the electronics section.

Turns out, the igniter was smoking, clicking, and sizzling. I assume this means it's toast. I'm hoping I can rebuild it, since I saw something on BikeCliff's website about it. Have yet to verify if mine is one that can be rebuilt, but I'll check that soon.

My first question is this: Has anyone successfully rebuilt these? How tedious was it?

Second: If I go ahead and upgrade to the Dyna DS3-3C system, will that fix the problem? I can't leave the battery hooked up long enough to test the coils or any other part of the ignition system, as the damn igniter starts sizzling again. What would even cause this to happen? I don't want to buy a new system and have it burn up as well. I'm not familiar enough with this bike yet to figure it out.

Lastly: (and most importantly) Is this bike worth dumping 300 bucks (probably more) into right out of the gate? I know, "it's worth it if it means that much to you"... At this point though, I haven't invested much time or emotion into it. It's fairly low mileage, and I'm not trying to get my money back or anything, but I want to make sure that this is both a good starting platform and something that has enough aftermarket support to be worth my time.

Sorry for the length, but I'm just trying to get you guys as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

-jstoner930

I don't know if it worth it or not, because the L is not one of the most popular models, but the 450S is a blast to ride in the upper rpms, that may be also. If it is for your pleasure and not for trying to make a few bucks, go for it. If you are looking to make some money off it, part it out.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You might be able to scavenge an advance unit, points plate and such from an earlier model GS [twins and fours are the same except for the coils] and wire around the igniter as per a '79 diagram for a lot less money than an igniter. I've considered having the parts on hand for just such an emergency.

If you don't sabotage the original wiring - any more than it is already - you could always go back to stock later.

All you need is power to the coils from the ign switch and two wires down to the points/condensers. Delightfully primitive.
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Retrofitting to a points ignition is a great suggestion assuming you can find the appropriate parts. Some research is in order to figure out if the GS400 parts would fit on a 450. The earlier motor is quite different in many regards so it's not a given.

Oh, and a Dyna S is about $130 so that's your cost baseline.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

"since my father bought the bike about 5 years ago taken apart,"

It would be nice to know why it was taken apart... Must have had some issue besides electrical gremlins. Maybe you're better off parting it out and moving on to an unmolested candidate.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

"It would be nice to know why it was taken apart... Must have had some issue besides electrical gremlins. Maybe you're better off parting it out and moving on to an unmolested candidate."

I agree. It would be nice. Unfortunately, the only info that I have is that the starter was bad and the PO had somehow thought that gluing the magnets back together would be a good fix... Got a new starter and bolted it in. Carbs had been taken off, and when I went through them looked like they had been cleaned pretty recently. I didn't have a key, so I hot wired the ignition into the on position, and connected the battery. Then came the smoke.

"Some research is in order to figure out if the GS400 parts would fit on a 450."

I think that the points conversion would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to start on checking cross-compatibility. Plus, like you said, I've read somewhere that the newer 450's were completely redesigned, different crank, shorter stroke, larger bore. Maybe the electronics are compatible, but that kinda seems like a longshot to throw money at. If one of you guys has an extra setup around or knows someplace to get them cheap, I'd be willing to give it a try, but I haven't messed with points much.

Comment

35 year old bikes are best for guys that enjoy wrenching and have some money to invest. It's not unusual to spend $1000 or even more rehabbing an old bike. Tires and tubes are $200. Chain and sprockets are $150. $75 for a battery. Brake lines, pads, rebuild kits another $200. Etc, etc. It's a labor of love...but not for everyone.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jstoner930 View Post
                "It would be nice to know why it was taken apart... Must have had some issue besides electrical gremlins. Maybe you're better off parting it out and moving on to an unmolested candidate."

"Some research is in order to figure out if the GS400 parts would fit on a 450."

I think that the points conversion would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to start on checking cross-compatibility. Plus, like you said, I've read somewhere that the newer 450's were completely redesigned, different crank, shorter stroke, larger bore. Maybe the electronics are compatible, but that kinda seems like a longshot to throw money at. If one of you guys has an extra setup around or knows someplace to get them cheap, I'd be willing to give it a try, but I haven't messed with points much.
                Robbing the advance and trigger plate from a newer bike was a common way to 'upgrade' the ignition back in the day, so reversing the procedure should be simple. I've never done it, but have a points plate and an old advance mech around and could check if you'd like. I don't think Suzuki got overly creative when they made the move; they just put a magnetic rotor on the old mechanism and triggers where the points used to be and wired the igniter box in.

I'd also be tempted to go with the later system from the GS500 as it's still available new and used and has a digital advance [fixed rotor] as opposed to the mechanical you have. It seems pretty bulletproof as opposed to the transitional system they used in the early '80s. Go points or go modern is my idea. This and the Shindengen SH775 regulator/rectifier and an AGM battery pretty much give you modern automotive electrical reliability.

As yet, I'm still running the original ignition, but - like the original R/R - won't miss it when it's gone.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

I didn't have a key, so I hot wired the ignition into the on position, and connected the battery. Then came the smoke.
                  I really like this.

Since you don't know all that much about motorcycles, how can you GUARANTEE that you actually hotwired the ignition into the ON position, and not something else?

What did you connect to what? Even if you don't know what the parts are called, at least give a good description of where they are and what the look like, we can figure it out from there.

One possibility that comes to my mind is that you might have connected a power line to the wrong side of the coil, which would have sent FULL current, as a direct short, straight to the ignitor. Yes, full voltage is applied to the OTHER side of the coils, which will then limit the current through the ignitor. Without the resistance of the coils to limit the current, the ignitor will be forced to handle whatever the battery and your jumper wire can supply.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well he did describe it as a "hot wire"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I really like this.

Since you don't know all that much about motorcycles, how can you GUARANTEE that you actually hotwired the ignition into the ON position, and not something else?

What did you connect to what? Even if you don't know what the parts are called, at least give a good description of where they are and what the look like, we can figure it out from there.

One possibility that comes to my mind is that you might have connected a power line to the wrong side of the coil, which would have sent FULL current, as a direct short, straight to the ignitor. Yes, full voltage is applied to the OTHER side of the coils, which will then limit the current through the ignitor. Without the resistance of the coils to limit the current, the ignitor will be forced to handle whatever the battery and your jumper wire can supply.

I know plenty about motorcycles. I rebuilt a 1981 Honda CB750, including the wiring, when I was 18. It works flawlessly. I also redid some electrical and added a module to get around the CAN BUS system on my dad's '11 Harley softail. I wired my own custom speedo console onto my Harley sportster. Incidentally, that also hasn't given me any problems. Oh, and I just went through the wiring on my 87 Jeep. That works great too. This isn't a job interview, but I have a resume if you'd like to hear it. Maybe I'm just young and dumb and don't know what I'm talking about. Or I'm misinterpreting the tone of your post completely and being a delicate snowflake. Or I made a mistake. Which is entirely possible, but if you're going to assume something, at least bother reading my post.

All I'm looking for, is why the igniter would have smoked when all I did was cut out the ignition switch, and (using the wiring diagram) wired the ignition to the "ON" position. Maybe I made some fatal error, but I sincerely doubt it. I probably should have hooked in a switch instead of twisting the wires together, but it was just a quick trial run. Nothing was hooked up long enough to overheat the coils (for example) or do some other damage. If you're aware of some reason why this shouldn't have worked, I'd love to hear it. But from my perspective, as long as the factory wiring works, this should have worked.

"I've never done it, but have a points plate and an old advance mech around and could check if you'd like. I don't think Suzuki got overly creative when they made the move; they just put a magnetic rotor on the old mechanism and triggers where the points used to be and wired the igniter box in."

John Park, that would be awesome if you could check. I don't have any extra parts for this bike floating around like I do for my others. I'm thinking there might be another box in my dad's shop, but I'd have to go digging. Knowing that it's at least an option would be nice. Also, I personally like the idea of upgrading to modern ignition. However, my brother is the one bankrolling this, as he wants to have something fun to ride around town. So I'm just trying to get it going without a huge bill. He doesn't really appreciate working on a vintage bike yet, but I'm hoping to introduce him to the addiction.

Comment

There is no good reason why the smoke got out (you know electricity is smoke right?)

If the wiring follows the wiring diag I would suspect something to be shorted (either to the frame or a neighbouring wire).

The Dyna is a very good robust system in my experience. You can actually wire it in independently of the main wiring harness to test it easily enough (if you use a relay for the coils you'll get a better spark). There is lots of info on here for installing these things.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I know plenty about motorcycles. ...
                          My apologies.

I read a fair number of posts here looking for help, yours sounded a lot like another poster that admitted he was new to motorcycles and not very mechanically inclined. I lost track of who was who.

The ignitors on these bikes are usually rather robust, but are not immune from failure. As I pointed out in my post, about the only way to fry one by bypassing the ignition key would be to also bypass the coil. It appears that it was merely coincidence that your ignitor chose this time to fail.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

apologize me arse! the kid is arrogant and less than knowledgeable.

The 450 igniter is similar enough to the 550s to allow you that as a point of departure to do some actual research.
                            550 has an IC that is a point of failure
                            youtube it for the fix
                            then see if it applies to a 450 or 400 or whatever

if you can lessen your arrogance enough.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              apologize me arse! the kid is arrogant and less than knowledgeable.

The 450 igniter is similar enough to the 550s to allow you that as a point of departure to do some actual research.
                              550 has an IC that is a point of failure
                              youtube it for the fix
                              then see if it applies to a 450 or 400 or whatever

if you can lessen your arrogance enough.
                              Sorry I came across that way. I've been on a lot of forums, and done a lot of research the last couple days. Doesn't excuse me being rude, but regardless, I apologize.

That was actually one of my thoughts. If the ignition coil was shot, would that have caused the igniter to behave the way it did?

Is there a way to test the coils that are on the bike without the igniter hooked up?

Comment

Working...
                              X