Picture Needed of a R/R/Igniter Bracket Mounted on an 1983 GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture Needed of a R/R/Igniter Bracket Mounted on an 1983 GS650L

I picked up this bike last week in exchange for an old computer I had laying around. The guy who had the bike said it ran with a temp gas tank. The wiring in the harness had been exposed everywhere and was a complete rat's nest. I love a challenge though and decided to take this one on. I have a replacement harness on the way but there are lots of ground wires that are cut for some reason. I want to essentially build the bike back to a running state prior to any mods. I will do so with the improvements recommended by this site, including the stator mod, dedicated frame ground, etc. I've restored a 77 MGB and a 74 TR6 before so while not an expert, I'm OK with electrical issues. I find myself with a box of parts that I have to attempt to find a home for, back on the 650 frame and therein lies my first question. The manual says to swing away the battery box and the mounting bracket is right there, but as I sit with the bracket in my hands looking to where to mount it - there seems to be nothing to bolt it up so. Are there tabs behind the battery box that are supposed to be there?
    Soooo....if someone has a picture of this R/R ignitor bracket mounted in their bike, I would greatly appreciate seeing it. I pics in the manual are confusing at best. They show great close ups of this bracket, but not where the darn thing is mounted.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

There is a bracket mounted under the air filter box (do you have this item still?.) It holds the ignitor on top and the r/r below . The bracket looks like this pic
    Attached Files
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Here's the filter box with the bracket mounted from ebay

image.jpg

Edit: now we want a pic of the TR6!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Picture 027.jpg

Ok...but this is going to hurt me a lot more than it'll hurt you...
        The story is that I took it out for the last hot-buttered run before putting it away for the summer. I was being entirely stupid at the time and had to make a split decision to either swerve and risk rolling it, or to see my kids again and take it on the chin. At least my old lady got a new kitchen out of it...

Comment

Tom,

That picture of the filter box is exactly what I needed to see and that's what I'm missing! Thank you so much!!!

Comment

Working...
          X