Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power

Hey Guys,
    Just looking for some help advice, I'm new around the engine of this little bike that I acquired, its a 1986 Gs400 I recently rode it and the battery everything seemed find then it wouldn't start but would light up but battery would not hold a charge so I figured I needed a new battery, now I have a new battery installed and now I get no power what so ever, turn the key and no lights turn on at all...any ideas to troubleshoot my problem, thanks for any help in advance. Cheers,
    Ryan

Check you connected the battery properly then move onto fuses.. they might be blown even if they don't look it. Try replacing them.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Salty Monk beat me to it...your immediate problem is most likely a blown fuse.

You'll have a laundry list of things to check after you get it running. Specifically, you need to figure out why the old battery is toast. Most of the time with these old beasts it is the R/R, stator, or both...but you need to make sure your new battery is really charged up before you move on to the other tests.

Edit- this link should help you with the quick test. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192

also, if you have blown a fuse, you'll have to trouble shoot it. I went through a season of riding between two incidents of blown main fuses, and chased my tail looking for the answer. The clue was in the second blown fuse happening when I slowed down to turn into a gravel path. Turned out to be a short in my turn signal switch. Point being, electrical gremlins can creep up all over the place, and you need to have either a very good idea of when it happened and what you were doing at the time, or a structured approach to finding the short/cause of overload.
      Last edited by BigD_83; 08-03-2017, 05:02 PM.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice I pulled the fuse, it looks ok, but I'll replace it and start from there, I cant locate another fuse is there another one on the bike? 1986 gs400

Comment

Working...
        X