Wiring mini speedometer w dummy lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring mini speedometer w dummy lights

I decided to go with mini tach and speedo and the mini speedo I bought has dummy lights for
    Winker
    Oil
    Neutral
    Backlight
    Hi beam

I pulled the wiring harness with connector from my old dashboard and have sussed out the wires ... mostly.
    So keeping in mind its an old bike and who knows how many previous owners have messed with it I will describe whats there and my understanding. Everything on my old dash worked but the fuel gauge ( removed fuel sender ) and the tach was behaving badly.

So I have 8 wires. Here is my assumptions
    Blue = neutral indicator
    Black with white stripe = Grounds
    Grey = power coming from ignition switch
    Green w yellow stripe = oil pressure light
    Straight lime green = Rt turn signal
    Black = lt turn signal
    yellow = high beam

Then I have a green w white stripe and I cant seem to find a reason for it coming out of the dashboard harness in the wiring diagrams?

The grey way up in the harness inside the dashboard split into 6 legs. I am assuming it was the positive side for the tach and speedo backlight coming from the ignition switch.

The black wire with white stripe split up high into 11 legs and I am assuming its the ground for all the lights and sensors so for the neutral indicator I would need the Blue and a black and white etc.

But .. what the hell is the green and white for. I am looking at the color diagram I got from this site and at clymer and I dont see how it fits in the dashboard scheme.

And since I am asking questions again .. Should I hook both legs of the turn signal (Lime Green and Black) to the same wire on the speedo?
    Almost done! Maybe
    Alex

Just realized I didnt account for the oil temperature Gauge so that could explain the green white wire.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2017, 10:21 PM.

I have not pulled up a diagram for your bike, but Suzuki was remarkably consistent with their wiring color code for most models and most years. I use the color diagram for an 850 on BassCliff's site because it's very easy to see the wires and their colors. There will be a few wires missing, like your oil temp gauge and the sidestand indicator, but everything else should be accurate.

The green/yellow wire is what runs from the oil pressure warning light down to the switch on top of the transmission. The light is fed power from an orange/green wire. It does not have a direct chassis ground, the 'grounded' side of the socket is connected to the green/yellow wire and runs down to the switch, which completes the ground if there is not enough oil pressure. When there is enough pressure, it breaks the circuit, which turns the light off. You may have to resort to some electrical trickery to get that light to work in your speedo, unless you can select whether it is "active hot" or "active ground".

Your blue wire for the neutral switch will have the same problem. Power is fed to the light. Like the oil light, the 'ground' is a wire that goes to a remote switch. In this case, it's the switch on the gear selector.

No, you can not simply connect your green and black wires together. If you do that, you will have 4-way flashers, no matter which side you activate. You will need to install two diodes back to back, and connect the center of that diode junction to the input for your signals in your speedo.

The gray wire does sort of supply power, but it comes from the headlight fuse. Power leaves the fuse via an orange/red wire and goes to a connector under the tank. On the 'dead' side of the connector is a yellow wire that feeds the headlight selector switch, but that wire has a jumper that goes right back to another pin in the same connector. On the other side is the gray wire that feeds all the instruments.

The green/white wire <might> be your oil temp wire. There is not one on the 850, so it's a fair guess.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So as I like to do ... I am back with information for the next couple of guys that may undertake this. I have a 1982 GS750 so the information may or may not be directly relevant to your application but I hope it is useful. I replaced my dash with a Mini Speedometer w dummy lights and Mini Tachometer

Here are the instructions for the Speedo

There are three bundles of wires that were coming into my dash. One was from a connector under my gas tank and was wired directly into the dash for gear indicator.

Another is a 10 pin connector in the headlamp case and there is a 3 pin. I cut the connectors as high up toward the dash as I could so I could wire them to the speedo on my bench and reuse them. I soldered and used heat shrink tubing on all my connections but I am sure you could have just used butt connectors.

You are only going to use the orange from the three pin connector so you can remove the other 2 wires from the connector.

Someone smarter than I may have more info but this is what I found and this is how I hooked mine up

The 10 pin connector has
      Grey-power from ignition switch
      Blue-neutral
      Lt green- Rt Turn signal
      Green w Yellow - oil Presure
      Green w White - side stand
      Black w White - ground
      Yellow - high beam
      Black - Lt turn

You are not going to use the sidestand light so you can remove the green and white from the connector.

The 3 pin has
      Orange- direct from fuse
      Yellow w black - Fuel
      Pink - oil temp

Not using fuel or oil temp so I pulled those from the connector
      Not using gear indicator so I disconnected it from under the tank and taped it and labeled it so in the future I will remember what it was.

Here is wire to wire between speedo and connectors w harness listed first

Orange - Green and Red (oil and Neutral)
      Yellow - Blue (Hi Beam)
      Blue - Green w Black (Neutral)
      Grey - Orange (backlight Speedo) I tied another grey tail on with a spade connector at the end to feed the backlight on my Tachometer.
      Green w yellow - Red Black (Oil Pressure)
      Black w White - Black, Blue w Black and Yellow w black ( back light, Hi beam and winker )
      I made a tail with a connector like I did with the grey to feed the backlight on the tach.

Winkers
      You will need 2 diodes.
      1N5402 works

Attach one to your harness wires Rt Turn .. Lt green wire and one to your lt turn Black wire. Then attache them both to the Yellow wire on the Speedo.

Done!
      Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

So I was in the headlamp today so decided it might be useful to actually SEE the diode connection. The Lt green (Rt Turn) and black (Lt Turn) From the harness connector each get attached to a diode. I am not a genius at such things but have some experience and my understanding is diodes have a direction and the grey line indicates the side the cathode is on. I have them so that electrical input is coming from the black side and leaving the grey but I cannot swear it wouldnt work the other way and I didnt test it. Suffice it to say .. mine works perfectly.

Now take two tails and solder them to the grey side of the diode. Ignore the yellow black coloring... it was just extra wire I had around and means nothing.
        Both of those tales goes to the yellow on the speedo and the yellow black on the speedo gets a ground. Done and you have proberly blinking light in your speedo and working blinkers.

I soldered all my connections and used heat tubing on everything but the feed for the tack backlight where you can see water proof spade connectors in case I ever have to remove the tach independent of the speedo.

Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X