Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start button inop

Hi folks,
    81,GS750L throttle stop was damaged and replaced. Problem now is it won't start on the button (it worked perfectly before).
    Ark the connectors in the switch housing and it fires up no problem, everything has gone back as it was.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated, I'm getting very frustrated with what should have been a simple swap of housings

I'm not real certain what was replaced. Start switch? Contacts within factory switches will corrode and now work properly. You can take apart to polish up contacts, but do so within a clear plastic bag as parts will explode everywhere. cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks Charlie G
      stripped throttle switch gear down, bottom half was replaced because the throttle would go to far back around when returned, starter terminals within housing are clean so is the copper/brass cup and spring, terminal plate seated in all recesses.
      Cant quite see how the button makes the cup connect with both terminals, with the spring pushing at all times the copper/brass cup is permanently against the terminal so what does the button actually do except compress the spring even more.
      I also have a spare, stripped down and examined throughout to be positive about refit and all is exact.
      I don't want to relocate a new independent start switch I would prefer to keep the bike original.

Comment

Do you have the spring and contact the right way round? The spring should sit between the cup and the contact, in order to maintain clearance.

In other words, it should be pushing the cup away from the contact at all times, except when the switch is operated.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

From what I remember from the starter switch on one of my 550's, the cup is intended to connect to a small nub (not much more than solder on a small plate) upon compression.

The Order of parts should be as follows (Too lazy to draw up something proper so here goes):

Nub - Spring - little metal Cup - Plastic Button ( - Your Finger ).
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

As it was when opened, button, spring, cup, contact.
            Cup flat side on contact, cup it's self seated inside spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
              As it was when opened, button, spring, cup, contact.
              Cup flat side on contact, cup it's self seated inside spring.
              Sounds wrong to me. The movable contact should sit on the back of the push-button, the spring holds it clear when not in use. When the switch is operated, the spring compresses to allow contact. When the switch is released, the spring expands to break the contact.

Try button, cup, spring, contact.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Haha, sounds wrong because it was wrong, you are correct sir, thanks for putting me straight. How did I get it so mixed up my head was spinning, I was convinced on both housings obviously not paying as much attention as I should. Lesson learned thanks agin.

Comment

Cheers to you!
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                  X