No announcement yet.

GS1000G: help with identifying where black white wire with ring terminal goes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G: help with identifying where black white wire with ring terminal goes

Hi

I have a lose wire on my bike which I don't know where to place it. It is a black and white wire with a ring terminal on the end, it is located near the battery plate, there is already a black white wire which is grounded to this plate. The wiring diagram shows one grounded ring terminal and then the other not grounded or connected to anything. Does anyone know what to do with this wire?

Thanks

Dave

I think we need a picture.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I believe it goes to the battery neg.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        I think we need a picture.
        I think it is this connection on the wiring diagram

Suzuki_GS1000G_80-81_Wiring_Diagram_Colour_with_light_switch2.jpg

Comment

Looking again at the wiring diagram the ring connector does seem to be on the rectangle for the battery plate so maybe that is the earthed connection that I have there already. So it could be that this ring terminal wire is at the other end which it shows going to earth somewhere (it says frame earth), now this could be it, a frame grounding for the battery plate, anyone know where the earth point should be?

Comment

Ok, I think I have found it, it should go to the front bolt of the battery carrier, it was late and dark when I finished this job, so it was a bit rushed and I forgot about this connection.

Comment

By the way, the bike was still wired as standard, so that the stator was wired thought the headlamp switch. The bullet connector for this connection was corroded and very black! lucky I got to it before a fire happened.

Comment

That battery box connection is not a good one. I have an extra wire going from there to the battery. Or if your black and white wire is long enough put it straight onto the negative battery terminal. That will ensure a good earth.
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

But this wire is a grounding for the ignition plate, and the negative terminal is anyway grounded to the frame. This link says it's not a good idea, but yes I should check that the battery box connection provides a good frame ground

Comment

That's a very informative article and makes sense. I need to take another look at my wiring!

Although I'm pretty sure it was something that was suggested on GSR here but I could be wrong.

In any case, the reason I did it was because the battery box had a rubber cushion (no. 13 here) that I thought would act as an insulator. I guess as an alternative you could wire it to the starter solenoid.

http://www.screencast.com/t/kE2DkUhkk3

We need Pops on this one.

​Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, it is a strange choice of bolt by Suzuki, but at least it contacts with the frame, I think that the starter solenoid would really be the wrong place though, if you attached it to the starter motor terminal it would send 12 volts down the earth wire every time you pushed the start button, the other terminal leads to the battery. Since the battery box (and electrical plate) is rubber mounted that would explain why the black white/white earths it to the frame. Must be a good earth somewhere, could be under the battery box bolt and rubber mount is ok, if there is a washer on top of the terminal

Comment

Trying to get my bike started today I tried jumping it with jump leads but it wouldn't start, I noticed when trying to start the voltage drop considerably to 6V or so! Anyway in the end I had a small fire, one of the earth leads from the electrical plate to the wiring loom burnt out. I now think that to earth through the electrical plate is a really stupid idea of Suzuki, I can't really see how it ever would have worked, I also think that rubber mounting the battery carrier is also a stupid idea. I am just now going to some proper sized earth wire and wire every earth to a good frame earth and have nothing to do with the battery carrier (should have done this at the beginning!).

Comment

Working...
                        X