No announcement yet.

Charging system time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have seen what a bad connection can do.
    It took me a while to fully appreciate the extent of this issue.
    If you haven't already, I highly recommend cleaning the fusebox and internal contacts of the kill and ignition switches.
    Keep tracking the supply voltage to the coils with a target of 0.5 Volt below the system voltage.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I hate to admit to such a silly mistake.

In other news, I just realized I have a 18 pole stator so it is not the original. This may explain why I haven't had charging issues most GSs seem to have. I'm assume the rotor was swapped out as well since I've read the two different styles are not compatible. Hope this makes finding a stator easy if the time comes. I've seen both Electrosport stators for $80ish on Ebay.

I'm also more inclined to switch to a used Polaris SH775 as a preventative measure.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The bike has been running great lately with one exception. When starting it cold, I get two or three backfires per cylinder through the pods during the first few cranks. Once it's running, I sometimes get a another pop or two as it's warming up. After the first 30 seconds, I get no more popping and it warms up as normal.

When I checked the ignition system, I started at the points, then the coils, and finally the plugs. The only thing I adjusted was the points. I reset the point gap and reset the points opening to the F mark. I've read that backfiring through the intake/pods indicates a lean condition. In my case, my conclusion is I'm running too advanced or too retarded. Can this cause backfiring through the pods? What I can't decide is whether too advanced or too retarded would cause the symptoms I described. My plan is to rotate the points plate slightly until the backfiring goes away, but I can't figure out which way to turn it.

I guess I could try both directions, but I'm afraid of damaging something.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
        X