Tapping into power off the ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapping into power off the ignition?

I've got a few wires here. I'm sure no one happens to have diagram for this bike (1981 GS450L. Everything is still in its harness. But I need power for my fuse box.

What I know so far. - - pictures below - -
    Red goes from power to key, orange goes to the rear (think this is blinkers, might go to a relay, can't tell without taking more off the bike, but it splits from two wires),and brown is just alone, probably rear tail light power?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like tinkerscustom.

I'm thinking the brown wire will be the ticket. I know I can hook up the battery with a volt meter and figure out which is acc from the ignition, but I figured I would post on the off chance that Suzuki uses the same wire harness on other models, and hopefully someone here has done it and already knows which wire?

I need a fuse box for phone charger, led tail light and blinkers, and any other accessories. I bought a 10way fuse block. So I don't want to to be on all the time, just when I turn the bike on.

I plan on upgrading the stator, but I'm not sure which to get to replace mine. if anyone has some extensive information on stators or recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
    I've got a few wires here. I'm sure no one happens to have diagram for this bike (1981 GS450L. Everything is still in its harness. But I need power for my fuse box.

What I know so far. - - pictures below - -
    Red goes from power to key, orange goes to the rear (think this is blinkers, might go to a relay, can't tell without taking more off the bike, but it splits from two wires),and brown is just alone, probably rear tail light power?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like tinkerscustom.

I'm thinking the brown wire will be the ticket. I know I can hook up the battery with a volt meter and figure out which is acc from the ignition, but I figured I would post on the off chance that Suzuki uses the same wire harness on other models, and hopefully someone here has done it and already knows which wire?

I need a fuse box for phone charger, led tail light and blinkers, and any other accessories. I bought a 10way fuse block. So I don't want to to be on all the time, just when I turn the bike on.

I plan on upgrading the stator, but I'm not sure which to get to replace mine. if anyone has some extensive information on stators or recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
    Cliff's site has the diagram.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Switched power is Orange. That is what powers a fuse box. It would be ok to connect a fuse box there but a 10 position ..fuse box makes me wonder what all you plan on wiring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Switched power is Orange. That is what powers a fuse box. It would be ok to connect a fuse box there but a 10 position ..fuse box makes me wonder what all you plan on wiring to it.
        Not a lot. Maybe just a phone charger or a new digital gauge cluster, but for sure some new brighter led lights for my markers. The 10 way is so I can have options. I'd rather have 10 than 6 for two dollars more. I like to be able to upgrade or add on without having to go back and replace something.

Comment

The are several products on the market that leave you with the impression that you need a dedicated fuse for each accessory. If that was true you would have way more than 10 fuses on your typical bike. The reality is that fuses are to protect wiring and not a device attached to the harness. For example (iirc)even a 25w led headlamp only draws about 1.0 A. As long as you hook the led up to a 10 A fused circuit you don't need to put it on a 2 amp individual fuse.

most all motorcycles have 5 position fuse boxes
          main-15a
          signal-10a
          ignition-10a
          headlamp-10a
          accessory-10a

this is more than adequate for most all no fuel injected bikes unless you put on a lot of heated gear but then you start exceeeding the nominal 18 amps you can get out of a charging system

Comment

Indeed orange wire powers everything past the key. IMO don't bother with a fuse box here...running it too somewhere far off is kind of convoluted too and screws up original harness ....so you could tuck a tap into the connectors I guess ...orange is only live when ignition on. On the other hand, The brown wire is to tailight . If you have a"parking light" when key turned to lock/ position (its all the way right on my bike), then brown wire is live then too. Brown wire is also live when key on so it's an ok choice if you want power when rest of bike is off, but tailight will be on then too.

so, IMO, If you want a powered circuit when key off, just tap to battery witha fuse inline. Put a 5 amp or less fuse inline with any device you tap onto it. But if you only want power when key on...? well per above.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-16-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

You could explore a product called the Eastern Beaver "Three Circuit Solution". It's a very well-made, well thought out way to approach multiple switched taps.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                Indeed orange wire powers everything past the key. IMO don't bother with a fuse box here...running it too somewhere far off is kind of convoluted too and screws up original harness ....so you could tuck a tap into the connectors I guess ...orange is only live when ignition on. On the other hand, The brown wire is to tailight . If you have a"parking light" when key turned to lock/ position (its all the way right on my bike), then brown wire is live then too. Brown wire is also live when key on so it's an ok choice if you want power when rest of bike is off, but tailight will be on then too.

so, IMO, If you want a powered circuit when key off, just tap to battery witha fuse inline. Put a 5 amp or less fuse inline with any device you tap onto it. But if you only want power when key on...? well per above.
                It is a little more involved but some member with 450-550s that have a single fuse have wanted to modify their electrical systems to use the SSPB. The main issue is separating the harness into O/G, O/W and O/R. IIRC, it is not too hard (requires opening up the harness) to do this as most single fuse bikes only have the O/G missing; it is wired Orange after the single fuse and after the ignition as normal and extends around the signal circuit that way.

I have relined a few schematics accordingly.

If the OP simply wants to add a set of accessories that are ignition key switched, then tying in a fuse box at that point is no different that the separation of circuits I described above.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  It is a little more involved but some member with 450-550s that have a single fuse have wanted to modify their electrical systems to use the SSPB. The main issue is separating the harness into O/G, O/W and O/R. IIRC, it is not too hard (requires opening up the harness) to do this as most single fuse bikes only have the O/G missing; it is wired Orange after the single fuse and after the ignition as normal and extends around the signal circuit that way.

I have relined a few schematics accordingly.

If the OP simply wants to add a set of accessories that are ignition key switched, then tying in a fuse box at that point is no different that the separation of circuits I described above.
                  My bike was missing fuses, wires and other things that the previous owner did not supply me with. So some of this has been a mystery and piecing it back together.

Will I need to worry about the stator?

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
                    My bike was missing fuses, wires and other things that the previous owner did not supply me with. So some of this has been a mystery and piecing it back together.

Will I need to worry about the stator?
                    Smaller bikes are not usually as prone to burning stators but you shoudl do a Quick tests and report the results to see how your charging system is doing.

"By the way, one thing to remember is to never trust what a PO did"

Comment

Working...
                    X