Stator advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator advice

I need to replace the stator on my 1986 GS750ES and am not sure which aftermarket one to get to fit this bike? Part of my problem is that this year ES bike was I think only sold in Canada and maybe Australia so doesn't show up in all data bases.
    I presume one for any year Gs750ES would be fine?

Any tips or advice? I'm located in Ottawa, Canada.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM.

Did you find the part number for the stator and performed a cross reference check? That will tell you where it was used. Partzilla has a good fishe for that sort of figuring but I don't know if they have the Canadian model bikes listed. I doubt the stator is unique to your particular model bike anyway.

Last stator I bought was a Ricks. They have a good reputation and they are not a "high powered" stator like some of the Chinese versions. Excessive power produced by the charging system that is not consumed by the bike is shunted back to the stator where it can cause overheat damage. That's why I didn't want a high powered stator. Getting a SH775 Series type R/R further protects the stator from return current over heat damage. In fact, with a SH775 even the high power stators should be fine. There are countless threads here about stators and the SH775 so consider looking in the archives if you want to learn more.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The maximum power output available from an Permanent Magnet alternator (like most motorcycles have including the GS) charging system is dictated by the magnetic strength of the rotor. The rotors are design with a maximum current rating; the maximum current that the charging system can produce. The stator can not alter this number, and any stator will achieve that current at some RPM. In almost all cases that RPM is achieved at 2500-3500 RPM.

So what is a "high powered" stator? It can only be a stator that was wound to produce more a higher changing voltage a lower RPM, but which will always end up at the same maximum as determined by the stator. So there is only a marginally higher risk of burning up a "high power" stator vs another because once your get to 3K+ RPM they are all going the same thing. High output at idle means a higher charging voltage at idle which is comforting if you are watching you voltmeter plunge every time your blinkers blink at a stop light.

The bigger issue (beyond basic fitment) with stator is longevity. Stators need to be designed and manufactured so as to alleviate any winding flex due to the electromotive forces (the interaction of current, mechanical force and magnetism acting on the stator) impressed on the winding when the bike is running. This means tight winding (e.g. no loose tie offs on the "Wye") and ideally a heavy high temperature epoxy coating.

One of the subtleties is that now that most people are moving to Series R/Rs, the longevity of stators is increasing to the limits of the mechanical properties mentioned above. This can be in the range of 20K-60K miles (or more) so which while any particular stator will probably make it to 20K miles, whether it can make it to 100K takes a lot longer to determine.

The Electrosport stators for the big bikes seem to have all the boxes checked.
      Last edited by posplayr; 09-26-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Part of my problem is that this year ES bike was I think only sold in Canada and maybe Australia so doesn't show up in all data bases.
        I think your main worry in Cross-referencing stators for a bike that doesn't show in databases (apart from previous posts above) will be to check the number of "poles" on the stator. IE: be sure it counts the same per the wire-winded things that stick out. Generally speaking you are pretty safe because many Suzukis of the era use the same stators with the caveat above .
        On the other hand, some suppliers use pictures that are generic and innaccurate as to the item for sale ....so, refer to official Suzuki part numbers and communicate with sellers with pictures too if you are nervous.... worldwide OEM part numbers found at parts suzuki motorcycle accessories spares replacement aftermarket

Pretty soon you will figure out the best American equivalent of your bike...Even some Canadian suppliers don't know what bikes were sold here and databases are clones of their American owners(?)

Comment

Ordered from Electrosport. They had my bike in their database. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X