Main wiring harness compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main wiring harness compatibility

Took on a project ‘82 Gs850 GL, and the P.O. rat f!$ked the crap out of the wiring loom, multiple splices in for aftermarket crap no longer on the bike, has a number of electrical gremlins I’m sure are related to his crappy work. I have a line on a ‘81 GS1000L parts bike with an allegedly unmolested wiring loom. Anyone know what comparability is like between GS models wiring? Would like to avoid having to do major electrical repairs to my current wiring if I can avoid it. Thanks.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

i don't have these but start here : Download the wiring diagrams (or shop manuals) and compare.(basscliffs site link below) Wire colours are very consistent in these years...Other differences not shown exactly MIGHT be location of fuse boxes that might not fit exactly in the same space and wire lengths to switches on handlebars but you can make a note of things like that before buying parts bike

BikeCliff's Website

Overall, without me doing the work above, in the fours from 80-81, I'd guess compatibility would be very good. The smaller bikes not so compatible as they have no fuse box.

Comment

Because they are both Ls, they will be close.

One thing the '81 harness will NOT have is the wiring for the sidestand switch.

The arrangement of bits and pieces around the battery box might be a bit different, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I did compare the diagrams and they are very similar. Would have to splice in the side stand switch wiring, but otherwise very very close. After looking up the suzuki part numbers it looks like the 80-81 850/1100 L’s shared a main wiring harness, and the 82-83 850/1100 L’s shared as well. I may just get on fleabay and see if I can source the correct part on the cheap now that I know exactly what I’m looking for.
        1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
        1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
        Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Working...
        X