Ground question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground question

I was chasing a grounding issue recently and moved to SPG setup. My bike sits for awhile between rides at times and I dont always keeping a tender on the battery. I have at times assumed that the battery is still charged and go to start it and the ground gets quite hot. I then put it on the tender overnight and things are fine the following day.

Can someone explain what is happening here? I have had grounds get hot due to poor connections. Is this simulating the same thing somehow?

What kind of bike? How/where is your SPG set up?
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The first thing you might think is there is a bad crimp or crimping method on the ground wire and that may be part of it. If the charge on a battery tender makes the overheating ground go away over night, then you might want to check out the charging system. A low battery voltage will pull a lot more current than one fully charged. On some bikes it is enough to weld the solenoid contact closed and continue cranking the starter motor until the battery is disconnected. Look up forum member posplayr and check the charging system according to the link in his signature for charging health.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 09-28-2017, 11:19 PM.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
      X