Idiot stuff. Spark plug and plug cap issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot stuff. Spark plug and plug cap issues

Ok guys. So I ordered up a new set of Ngk B8es plugs and Ngk VB05f plug caps( long 120 degree bend). First of all, the 120 angle longs don't work on the inside two cylinders for me. Might have to get the straights? Anyone else have this problem??

second, the plugs themselves have a fixed terminal lug that snaps into the plug cap, and not one of the screw on types where you can use the lug or threaded stud. And the plug caps are made to snap into the threaded stud type.

this is all very frustrating and quite embarrassing since it is just plugs and plug caps. But please help!!

thanks for your time
    andrew
    sigpic

1978 GS 750

Ok, so the spark plug box says solid terminal. So I need to order removable I assume, anyone have a part number or source to order from. Thanks
    sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

Ordered up the removable terminal type plugs . Anyone about the straights caps on middle cylinders??
      sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

On my 750 I followed the writeup on BikeCliff's (Basscliff') website titled Spark Plug Cap Replacement. Clipped the ends of the OEM coil wires 1/4 inch and installed NGK caps XB05F and VB05F. The inner ones are straight caps. Caps have an inner screw which you simply twist on the coil wire. My old original caps had resistance of close to 10 ohms each almost double the 5K ohm rating.

The new caps made a very noticeable improvement in engine performance. Acceleration has a more "crisp" feel. Overall worthwhile change.

Original caps are still available from Suzuki if that's of interest, albeit more expensive than the NGK's.

Find DIY here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

1978 GS750e
        1976 Kawasaki KH400

Comment

On B8ES plugs, the terminal caps just unscrew from the plug, leaving the threaded terminal.

I just went out into the garage and verified this.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

NGK have solid terminal option for some plugs, lots of snowmobile use solid stud.
            Marc
            https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Yeah so I had ordered B8ES, Ngk part #3683 with a solid terminal lug. And not removable type terminal B8ES Ngk part# 2411

clown move
              sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Tarantulahed504 View Post
                Yeah so I had ordered B8ES, Ngk part #3683 with a solid terminal lug. And not removable type terminal B8ES Ngk part# 2411

clown move
                Welllllllll, I'll be dipped. I had no idea such a thing existed. Ya learn something every day if you don't watch out.

You can get the regular 2411 B8ES plugs (with unscrew-able terminal) at most auto parts stores for less than two bucks each.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

For 850 and 1100, have used two XB05F and two VB05F.

I dont recall which is which, but used the longer one with the short little turn on the two cyclinders in center, and the shorter ones with 90 degree turn on the outside.

I think I recall a good description of them all on Dennis Kirk online catalog.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                  X