Gs1100 starter keeps blowing up??!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100 starter keeps blowing up??!!!

Ok so quick run down. Mr. Turbo turbo kit, running good on stock motor till a couple pistons melted. Had a engine built with turbo pistons, welded crank and some other goodies. Every time the bike starts it blows up a starter.

The original starter cranked the bike over and over for a while until it finally started then gave out. It took a while and it’s an old starter so figured it was time for a new one. I got a used one from the guy that built the motor. Same thing started one time and then all I get it the solenoid clicking. Figured it was just a bad starter so I got a brand new one from Ricky electronics. Same thing blows up after the first start up, i figured maybe it was damaged in shipping or defective, so I get another one. 4th starter just blew up on me. Would crank and crank until engine started and now it sounds like a bottle of pills when I shake it.

Bike his been down since may will some one pleaseee help me...
    Attached Files

A better picture would help

Comment

Starter clutch locked?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Starter clutch locked?
        The armature looks like it experienced some type of mechanical interference (i.e. blown), but it is not clear what could cause that.

Comment

your pic is useless ot shows overall damage but nothing close up.It would appear that as in any starter the bushings at one or both ends have failed due to normal wear or increased wear due to lack of proper shimming
          not sure if suzuki starters have nay shimming sho its probably just some dick foisting pos used crap on you,
          Turbos have lowered compression rations yes? If so the strain on the starter should be less than stock unless the intake or exhaust retrictions are increased.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yeah, use imgur or something to embed a proper (and enlargeable) size picture. Can't see a damn thing on that post stamp that has been mauled by a agressive JPEG encoder.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Starter clutch locked?
              My gut reaction as well.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
              X