Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young Dummy vs Dyna S

Hi guys!
    So my bike (1981 GS1000) hasn't been running for many weeks now, I traced it back to coils and then it ran for a little while and then my ignitor went as well. So I installed two new dyna coils, new spark plugs, and a new dyna s. I now have spark and that is a good blue color, so I'm assuming it should be hot enough to ignite the fuel. When I try and start it though, nothing happens. I tried dozens of times and one time it sputtered for a split second, but nothing otherwise. I cracked the bolt on the bottom of one of the carb bowls and I got fuel to leak out (have also tried to start it with the petcock on "prime" and "on", just in case), so there should be fuel I think. I went back to check my timing though and something is screwed up there I think. There are three timing marks on the back plate one at the beginning of the 1&4 side one in marked F and One marked T (they pass by the stationary timing mark in that order when the bike is turning over). I attached a test light to the orange and white wire going to the 1&4 and the white ground going to 1&4. When I manually turn the engine over, the test light will turn on after the T mark and stay on through the the whole rotation (even through the 2&3 side) and then turn off for a short part of the rotation between the F mark & the T mark on the 1&4 side and then turn back on after the T mark on the 1&4 side. This sounds completely backwards to me and opposite of the videos I've watched, but this is my first time ever trying to do timing. I would think it would turn on for a short time around the F and T mark and off the rest of the time. I have attached pictures to help visualize where the F mark is, where it turns off after the F mark and where it turns on after the T mark. Please someone help
    Thank you in advance!
    (Sorry if I actually don't post the photos or screw them up because I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it from saved photos on my computer)
    Attached Files

IMG_1080[2269].jpg Here is where the light first turns off.

Comment

IMG_1083[2271].jpg And here is where the light turns back on for the rest of the rotations after the "T" mark. (I have the stationary timing mark and the "T" timing mark circled.

Comment

Your timing plate is all the way clockwise. It should be somewhere between the slot stops to run. I don't see a listing for anything but the DS3-2 Ignition for your year bike so I am assuming Suzuki used ND ignitions after 1980. If that is correct and you followed installation and set up directions, your timing plate should not be all the way clockwise. Try slipping the plate counter clockwise until the light turns on with the rotor in full advance (clockwise) and the 1-4 advance marks lined up (The advance mark is about 1/2" to the right of the F marks on the advance assembly probably right after the 4). Otherwise check your installation or call Dyna tech support.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I posted some answers to Dyna timing question a few years ago, (now in the old tech forum archives)
          This may help.
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just installed a Dyna on my GS750. I don't know if it's the same but for mine you set the Dyna using the unmarked notch to the RIGHT of the "F" mark and with the rotor turned fully advanced. In other words you twist the magnetic rotor and hold it while using timing light aligning the Dyna plate.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
            X