GS650 replacement ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 replacement ignition coils

Hello. I have a 1982 GS650GL with bad spark plug wires. They're visibly cracked and arcing in a few places. They appear to be original, which I believe means they are part of the ignition coil assemblies. Has anyone found suitable aftermarket replacement parts for these? I've searched high and low and can't find much. I can't be the first person to come across this. I tried searching this site but can't find where this question has been answered before. I'm new to bikes (this is my first one) and to this forum, so please forgive me if I've overlooked an easy solution on the site.

Thanks,
    Brian

You could try removing the old plug leads by getting as much of the epoxy off then grabbing the lead as close to the coil with players and moving backwards and forwards to loosen the wire alternately being very careful dig out the old wire there is a small post at the bottom of the coil that the centre core of the cable fits on,be careful not to break it you can the glue/epoxy new cables in.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

They can be replaced. They are epoxied into the coil towers and a real PITA to remove, but it is do-able.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

If you decide to go the route of replacing the coils, the Dyna Greens (3 ohm, dual output) are (almost) a direct swap. You may have to rig up some sort of offset spacer/mount to get them to fit, but they will work.

Z1 often has the best pricing on the product, and they have all of the wiring you need to rig them up as well.

If you’ve renewed the spark plugs on your vintage motorcycle, but it still feels bogged, the culprit could be the coils or spark plug wires. A fault in either one of these components will prevent the spark plugs from firing, leaving you with a dead cylinder and a sluggish ride. If everything else in the charging and ignition systems is in order, new coils and plug wires will likely get you back up and running.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
          You could try removing the old plug leads by getting as much of the epoxy off then grabbing the lead as close to the coil with players and moving backwards and forwards to loosen the wire alternately being very careful dig out the old wire there is a small post at the bottom of the coil that the centre core of the cable fits on,be careful not to break it you can the glue/epoxy new cables in.
          Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it can be done, but obviously wasn't intended originally. I'm really shocked there is no direct replacement for these. Maybe the 650 model wasn't super popular?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              If you decide to go the route of replacing the coils, the Dyna Greens (3 ohm, dual output) are (almost) a direct swap. You may have to rig up some sort of offset spacer/mount to get them to fit, but they will work.

Z1 often has the best pricing on the product, and they have all of the wiring you need to rig them up as well.

https://www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-d...air-dc1-1.html
              Thanks for the info! On a longshot, I just called a local Suzuki dealer and they can get the original coil assemblies for almost the same price. It's more than I hoped to spend, but it sounds like my only other option is trying to remove the wires from the existing coils...which doesn't sound too fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
                Thanks for the info! On a longshot, I just called a local Suzuki dealer and they can get the original coil assemblies for almost the same price. It's more than I hoped to spend, but it sounds like my only other option is trying to remove the wires from the existing coils...which doesn't sound too fun.
                No but it's a hell of a lot cheaper 😀
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

Just be cheap like me... Dirty but these have the spade hookups, and new plug caps only cost about $4. The sets that I had, showed no signs of plug wire lead damage

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If it is just the wires cracking and the coils are still good, you could go to any auto parts store and get enough heat shrink tubing to shrink two layers on the wires and that would end any arcing problems. Auto parts stores usually carry heat shrink on rolls, so you can buy whatever length you need and they carry it in large sizes, big enough to fit over spark plug wires.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Excellent advice Earl. Sounds like a pretty easy fix for the OP's problem.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        If it is just the wires cracking and the coils are still good, you could go to any auto parts store and get enough heat shrink tubing to shrink two layers on the wires and that would end any arcing problems. Auto parts stores usually carry heat shrink on rolls, so you can buy whatever length you need and they carry it in large sizes, big enough to fit over spark plug wires.
                        That's a great idea. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X