Wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring issues

A few years ago my 1980 GS-1000G was blowing the same fuse and losing all lights/turn signals/brake lights etc. Took awhile to track down the problem. Turned out to be a bad Regulator Rectifier, which on occasion spiked to 16 volts at fast idle. Needless to say that cooked a lot of the plastic connectors. I replaced the Reg/Rec and that solved the problem. I also re-wired some of the connectors. BUT, I have noticed that some of the wires are brittle, probably from the excess heat caused by the big voltages. I would like to do a major detail on the bike over the winter so if anyone has a source for a new OEM, NOS or Repro wiring harness it would be appreciated. The local Suzuki Shop (great guys and very helpful) have not had luck sourcing one for me, but have noted that the 80/81 GS-850G and the '80 GS-1000G wiring harnesses appear to be virtually identical. They suggested if I could source one of those, I should be able to utilize it and with some minor modifications, if necessary, adapt it to my bike, which currently has over 200,000 km. Appreciate any help and suggestions.

Can't help you much finding a harness, but I can verify that the '80/'81 850 and 1000 harnesses are pretty close.

Looking up the part numbers, I find this:

36610-45130 is used only on the '80 850G
    36610-45131 is used on the '80/'81 1000G and the '81 850G
    36610-45132 is the superceded number that replaces them all.

Not sure what is different on the '80 850, as I have not noticed any differences between my bike and my son's.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put a 1980 GS850 harness on my '81 GS1000G. A PO had added some weird security switches and wiring I didn't want to keep.
      The only real difference is that the '81 has full time running lights in the front turn signals. The factory manual shows how to route the harnesses on the frame. I with I had looked at that first. It would have saved some time. BikeCliff's site has the PDF.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the input. I took those part numbers to the local Suzuki Dealer after work today. They all came up as invalid, or unavailable. I'll have to keep looking for a good used harness, or get serious over the winter and devise a way to build my own. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
        CHEERS

Comment

No luck so far in finding any compatible Harnesses. Even E-Bay only had an 850 L harness, and looking at the pictures on the local shops computer, it is very different than the G models. I will ask my English friend if he can locate a source over his way. It's not a big problem, at this time, but I do use the bike a lot, and don't want to get stranded miles from home. Luckily when I was having issues, the engine is on a separate circuit and always got me home.
          CHEERS

Comment

Hey Ron. Sorry for not responding to your email but did you give Rob (AZR) in Victoria a try. He's known around here to be a bit of a Suzuki parts whore. He's got lots of 1000G stuff.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Your brittle insulation near the bad connectors are probably only a few inches from the overheated connectors until the wire insulation is fine. It is a lot easier to replace a few inches of wire or break the brittle insulation off and heat shrink the wire replacing the insulation. I had similar problems on my bike. The only wire I cut out and extended was the horn wires over the hot valve covers. The rest were easily repaired with heat shrink insulation.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

YUP, been talking to him. He has a big box full of old GS stuff, but he is having fun with his new Dual Sport Suzuki, and his ST-1100 so hasn't gotten around to sorting out the contents of that box yet. I'm still hoping. I replaced one of the multi-connectors under the gas tank. It had melted from the excess voltage. I broke it apart, and rather than try to find another 9 wire connector, I just took the teeny little spade connectors, after labeling each wire, then joined them together and used heat shrink. Wrapped the whole mess up and so far it's fine. I'm a bit colour challenged so I have to label each wire as i take them apart from the connectors. No way I can identify all those coloured wires with their itty bitty tracers. ARRRGH!

Comment

Had no luck finding wiring harness for bike from numerous sources, local and in USA and overseas. Since no problems at the moment, I'll not worry about it and continue to ride the bike and carry spare fuses. Winter projects well underway including major detailing with changing all fluids (brakes still to go), valve clearance check (had to change 2 shims, first time in many years). Going to re-install air caps and have new Progressive rear shocks to go on. Originals still on the bike and they are tired. Still lots of alloy to polish and fit a new rear tire. This damn old Suzuki is likely to last longer than I am.
                  CHEERS

Comment

Working...
                  X