X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 550 brake light

Afternoon fellow GS lovers.

I have a 1979 Suzuki GS550.

I noticed earlier this summer that the brake light wasn't turning on very easily (mostly with the hand brake) and I haven't looked into the foot brake yet...

I found the wiring underneath the hand brake and when I took it apart, I lost the small spring in there that pushed the U shaped slider against the contacts to turn the light on. I am sure I could probably make something work (like a spring out of a pen) but would rather just buy a replacement parts and crank up the sensitivity so that a small movement in the hand brake will engage the brake light.

Eventually I would like to make some changes to the bike to turn it more into a cafe racer style (change the handle bars, seat, etc) and possibly change out the lights. As much as I'd love to install a motogadget M-unit that probably isn't in my budget....

Basically, I was wondering what you all would recommend?

I am not sure which genuine suzuki part number I'd need (if I went that way) - either the 57460-33700 or the 57460-45500.

Or if you had any other suggestions to go in a different direction?

Thanks for your help,
    Danny

If you can find a spring that works, I say go for it the pen spring sounds like a good idea. I think I have an extra I could send over if you want to pay the international shipping. I'll take a look.

I think you want 57460-45500 part, judging from this: https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts...-handle-switch
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

sure- a pen-spring might fit in there.....but personally, I've had bad experience fiddling with these sh*tty switches once they start getting cranky... They are fiddly to adjust or repair and the screws that mount them tend to corrode into the aluminum of the handlebar control and snap off...(some never-sieze now might help if you have it apart ok now) so longterm, I'd get on Ebay and order an "hydraulic pressure switch" against the day it fails again....just doublecheck the thread pitch. It'll be 1.25 (coarse) or 1.0 (fine) depending on your master cylinder. The rear brake switch is pretty reliable so far, though they benefit from a "work-over"

Comment

Working...
      X