Coil ground test ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil ground test ???

Hey Fellow GSer's. I have a coil ground test question? (1984 Pop up Katana 750)

In order to do this test I read that you hook your volt meter to the o/w wire and the other meter lead to the battery (-). This should give you 12.6 +- volts. Here is my issue.....if I hook it up this way I get nothing however if I put the meter lead that should go to battery (-) and instead hook it to the battery (+) I get 12.8 volts. Am I doing this correct? I did get another meter and it did the same thing. 12.8 volts from o/w wire to + battery.

Also, the wiring diagram in the shop manual shows that the coil should be hook up in this order......Coil A (1&4) o/w to positive tab, w to neg tab....Coil B (2&3) o/w to neg tab, b/y to positive tab. Should the o/w go to the positive tabs on both coils?

Thanks

I don't know why it suggests that coil B is wired opposite coil A, but electrically, it probably makes no difference.

Regardless of which coil terminal it is connected to, the orange/white wire should show voltage (relative to ground) when the ignition key is ON. Instead of connecting to the battery - terminal, clip your meter lead to a chassis point. Touch your other lead to battery + just to make sure the light is working, then turn the key ON and check the coil.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I don't know why it suggests that coil B is wired opposite coil A, but electrically, it probably makes no difference.

Regardless of which coil terminal it is connected to, the orange/white wire should show voltage (relative to ground) when the ignition key is ON. Instead of connecting to the battery - terminal, clip your meter lead to a chassis point. Touch your other lead to battery + just to make sure the light is working, then turn the key ON and check the coil.

Thanks Steve...I messed up on the test, I did not have the ignition turned on. My mistake. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X