Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs 1000L no spark

hello all,

i have recently acquired my fathers 81 1000L, he ask me about a year ago if i would like it, he bought it new and put 70k miles on it before he bought a harley road king about 10 years ago and retired the 1000.
    to the best of my knowledge it was started simi regularly, i know the bike was running when he bought the harley but when he ask my if i wanted it he said he couldn't get any spark, well i put it off and he passed away this past july, so i have brought it home and tinkered with it a little and sure enough no spark.
    there is no spark at any of the four plugs, i have checked the kill switch at the plug under the tank and get continuity between the two orange wires.
    i have checked the two coils and have power to the o/w wire on both coils when the key is on.

i am not sure what to look at next, any help would be appreciated.

thank you for your time

kenny

You're on rhe right track...find the ignitor box and check all connectors from it to ignition coils and down to signal coils. Mice might have chewed thru some wires since it's been sitting. You got positive power to coils, but it's up to ignitor to break the negative connection when triggered by the signal coils.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thank you tom203,

i am thinking the ignitor box is a small black box on the port side and just below the battery? is there any way to check it and see if it is good?

i don't have any idea what a signal coil is nore where to look for it and determine if it is good or not.

i will look the wiring harness over well today.

thank you again.

Comment

do you think this ignitor will work? the wiring plugs look the same.

Comment

It might if part numbers are same.... I'd wait on buying stuff till you check a bit more.....and understand this ignition method. Two spark plugs fire at once- both must be on plugs grounded to engine to observe spark on even one.
          The signal coils are behind a small cover on lower right side (see picture below) - they are durable but the connectors can fail/corrode.
          Your dad might have jump started the dead suzuki with a running vehicle - ignitor boxes don't seem to enjoy this treat.
          Used ebay ignitors are always suspect. If it turns out that you need one, your best bet would be to opt for dyna S ignition system which eliminates the stock ignitor and signal coils

image.jpg
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Post your ignitor part number.
            I have at least 5 tested box.
            25$+ shipping
            Marc
            https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
            X