GS850G Left switch block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Left switch block

Continuing to assemble bike for a friend.
    This is a 1982 GS850G that originally had a left handlebar switch block that incorporated a choke lever.
    These are no longer available from Suzuki as a new part and original is very sad indeed.
    Easy enough to adapt a different choke so no problem there.

Owner has provided an after market switch block that has only 7 wires in the terminal block plus one "side" wire.
    None of these colours match original and terminal block does not fit block in loom plus it does not have the connection for headlight so it is really of no use at all.
    The wiring is also much shorter than the original so probably a very poor Chinese job.
    Original switch block which controls Lights on/off plus dip switch, horn and flashers has 9 wires plus the headlight connection.
    Suzuki list a switch block for 1980 model GS850 which has all except choke (no big issue) at $220 Australian or around $170 USD.
    Has anyone found a suitable replacement at a more realistic price?

Guy has already "over-spent" on this bike so my work is free and trying to save him a buck or two.

[QUOTE=fixmybrokecomputer;2440011]Here's a stock on on ebay.

Many thanks. Your help is greatly appreciated

Comment

Considering how the turn signals work on the GS's, for the auto cancel bikes, the shortest path forward is using an OEM switch. A bunch of different GS's used the same switches (most shafty bikes and some chain drive too).
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Considering how the turn signals work on the GS's, for the auto cancel bikes, the shortest path forward is using an OEM switch. A bunch of different GS's used the same switches (most shafty bikes and some chain drive too).
        fixmybrokecomputer has given me the fix I wanted. I purchased the used switch that he identified.
        As for purchasing a new switch assembly as per your suggestion a new & matching switch for 1982 GS850G is simply not available.
        Or certainly as far as have been able to determine.
        They are certainly available for 1980.
        The 1982 incorporates the choke lever and the headlamp connector is included in the switch assembly whereas the 1980 headlight connection is included in main loom.

As always every bit of feedback from my posting is both appreciated and respected.

Comment

Nessism was only suggesting an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) switch, meaning "use a Suzuki switch", don't bother with anything aftermarket.

We are all pretty much aware that there are virtually no NOS (New, Old Stock) switches, so yes, we do have to rely on used OEM switches.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a new right hand switch for one of my 1000G recently. Not that expensive, but it is more of a flat black finish than the original satin black. my brake light switch was all messed up, and I saw the whole assembly and bought that instead of just what I needed.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
            X