GS550 wiring harness interchange? *edited* And RH control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 wiring harness interchange? *edited* And RH control

Trying to cross reference the part #'s. I have a 1980 GS550E/T. The part number I find for a wiring harness is 36610-47210. When I look up "where used", it shows the GS550L. Will the main wiring harness between the E (or T...I'm still a little confused about the proper designation), and the L model interchange?

Also, there is only one part # for the RH control/throttle housing. Part #57100-47500 supersedes all previous numbers.
    But when I look at the controls on eBay, the ones that the list says interchange, they have different plugs. I'm not worried about the dual vs. single throttle cable.

How can I get a main harness and RH plug that will work together on my '80? The main harness is fubar...or too much of a headache to try and repair...and someone opened up the RH control and has lost some of the hardware. It's easier and cheaper to just find replacements. But the parts fiche has me confused.
    Last edited by Scott S; 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM.

I also found part #36610-47001

This is used on these models:

Can anyone tell me if the main harness is interchangeable and what will work on my '80? Just the main harness.

Comment

The harness part number seems to be P/N 36610-47020. I don't see any supersession listed. The 1980 bikes got electronic ignition and a combined R/R. Earlier bikes had points and a regulator and rectifier among other differences. There may be other changes too, not sure. With enough work I'm sure you could adapt the early harness for your bike. I've done such swaps before and they are doable.

Regarding the hand control, it's nothing but two wires so regardless of the connector you should be able to swap things around.

Part numbers...
      Part# 57100-47500

*supersedes 57100-47010, 57100-47011, 57100-44130
      Last edited by Nessism; 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did some more searching, looked at a BUNCH of listings on eBay, found a nice used harness and a RH control. I'm 99% sure I got the right thing(s). And only about $36 shipped for both. WAYYYY better than trying to sort out the mess I have!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
          Will the main wiring harness between the E (or T...I'm still a little confused about the proper designation), and the L model interchange?
          Generally speaking, the E and L harnesses might be a bit different, but the differences might also be in the sub-harnesses that plug into the main harness, I'm not sure.

As to "proper designation", you need to know that the "T" is Suzuki's designation for the 1980 model year. Therefore, you have a 1980 GS550E or you have a GS550ET, but saying you have a 1980 GS550ET is redundant. You can see the other years and their designations by looking at the GSR home page and scrolling down to the model information tab.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X