New Alternative R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Alternative R/R?

Do you guys know anything about this R/R? It has good reviews on amazon and it says it comes with a twelve month warranty. I'm considering buying it, because my R/R is shot on my bike, but I'm wondering what you guys think of it.

It is probably a shunt R/R which will burn up a stator. Nothing in the description would suggest otherwise. All the subjective reviews have been posted since summer of 2017 and are pretty much irrelevant with respect to a testimony of stator longevity.

Comment

Get a Shindengen SH775. Search ebay for Polaris Regulator and then look for one like below. Be sure to verify it's an actual SH775 before purchase. The real deal units will have the printing.

Last edited by Nessism; 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll probably take a look through ebay for a used one. I'm pinching pennies here and I can't find a new one for any less than $143 now, I even went through all of Steve's websites he posted.

Comment

Sorry, but I have not updated those links for a while. ��

Your best bet is, as Nessism says, a Polaris regulator on eBay.

Just be careful when you are looking. I do a search for “Polaris voltage regulator “, then search by price (low to bigh). You will find quite a few that say “fits Polaris ...” or “replaces Polaris ...”. Most of them are “New” and from China. DO NOT GET THEM. They are cheap shunt regulators. You likely won’t find one for less than $35, and they will always be “pre-owned”. Your best bet is one that shows a picture of the SH775 on the end.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Anybody feeling lucky? These look like the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compu-Fire-...RaJ2hg&vxp=mtr
              That's a great price. I might go for it. I've had one in my Amazon "save for later" cart for a couple months. I'll report back.
              sigpic
              1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
              1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
              1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
              On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
              All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Tertle_Power View Post
                I'll probably take a look through ebay for a used one. I'm pinching pennies here and I can't find a new one for any less than $143 now, I even went through all of Steve's websites he posted.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...umber-4012941)
                Check the link I provided, I found one for $45 shipped. You don't need the connector, you can use spades and then fill the cavity with RTV if money is tight.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Tertle_Power View Post
                  I'll probably take a look through ebay for a used one. I'm pinching pennies here and I can't find a new one for any less than $143 now
                  Have you tried a Polaris dealer? I bought mine for $97CDN from a local dealer a couple years ago. Considering the typical price differences between US and Canada you should be able to do better than that easily.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  You don't need the connector, you can use spades and then fill the cavity with RTV if money is tight.
                  The harness was only ~$15 up here in overpriced Canada. It should be less than that in the US and OP will spend half that buying the right connectors and wiring. Or have prices skyrocketed that much in 2 years?

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    Have you tried a Polaris dealer? I bought mine for $97CDN from a local dealer a couple years ago. Considering the typical price differences between US and Canada you should be able to do better than that easily.
                    A couple of years ago, they were about that down here, too. They have since jumped up to the $150+ range.

That is what makes the used ones for $45 so attractive.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"It is probably a shunt R/R which will burn up a stator"

Millions of engines all over the globe use shunt regulators. I guess they all burn up the stator too.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compu-Fire-...RaJ2hg&vxp=mtr
                        I was just about to pull the trigger on this but the unit looks different than the ones I've purchased previously. Could it be a knock-off? I sent the seller a message asking if it is a genuine Compu-Fire unit.

Here is their response:

New message from: shop-fashion2015 (1,956)

Dear friend
                        I am sorry to tell you it is not the original,but we can promise that they have the same performance、function and quality as the original,Just buy it if you like.
                        Best regards!

Best regards

shop-fashion2015

Working time:Mon-Fri 9:00-17:00

Last edited by glib; 01-02-2018, 11:49 PM. Reason: Added response
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                          I was just about to pull the trigger on this but the unit looks different than the ones I've purchased previously. Could it be a knock-off? I sent the seller a message asking if it is a genuine Compu-Fire unit.

Here is their response:

New message from: shop-fashion2015 (1,956)

Dear friend
                          I am sorry to tell you it is not the original,but we can promise that they have the same performance、function and quality as the original,Just buy it if you like.
                          Best regards!

Best regards

shop-fashion2015

Working time:Mon-Fri 9:00-17:00

My guess is that they are most likely grey market from the same place that produces true "branded" Compufire parts.
                          It is possible that it is just a shunt R/R, but I would put it over 75% that it is a Compufire Series design. It is still a risk, but the seller claimed the same performance. My guess is that he was telling you that is there is a problem, you can not ask Compufire to replace it.

Comment

My guess is that they are most likely grey market from the same place that produces true "branded" Compufire parts.
                            It is possible that it is just a shunt R/R, but I would put it over 75% that it is a Compufire Series design. It is still a risk, but the seller claimed the same performance. My guess is that he was telling you that is there is a problem, you can not ask Compufire to replace it.
                            Peace of mind is worth the extra $60. I’ll go with brand.
                            sigpic

Comment

Get the real SH775

Comment

Working...
                              X