New Alternative R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    A couple of years ago, they were about that down here, too. They have since jumped up to the $150+ range.
    Wow, 50% inflation in two years. That's brutal.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      "It is probably a shunt R/R which will burn up a stator"

Millions of engines all over the globe use shunt regulators. I guess they all burn up the stator too.
      If the stator's cooling is marginal, probably so. Higher rpm makes for more burny (more power to dissipate as heat), so I wonder if the stators burned out less often in the days when the speed limit was 55, which these bikes were designed for.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        If the stator's cooling is marginal, probably so. Higher rpm makes for more burny (more power to dissipate as heat), so I wonder if the stators burned out less often in the days when the speed limit was 55, which these bikes were designed for.
        0here are several factors involved. But one burned stator is a good predictor of lack of cooling. Generally, it is the bigger bikes with the sensitivity. The OP has an 1100L.

Duanage, usually works/rides 550's and the Honda R/R has been especially gifted with having better than normal performance for a shunt R/R. I think that is where is sensitivity to my comment comes from.
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-04-2018, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Personally, I would call it a gamble. I like real Shindegnen myself, second hand over new clones but oh, it'll likely keep you on the road awhile....

MZS is apparently a clone outlet. For what it's worth, it looks like you can find the same thing here (link below) cheaper as an example of How-ToShop! ...basically I'd expect they are all the same device with possibly different plugs on the end.... they can be pretty "thrifty" on the wire quality in China, plastic sheathing and the minimum of copper etc...

Comment

Working...
          X