Turn signal wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal wiring

Of all the maintenance issues due these bikes, electrical is my weakness. That said, I have some new front turn signals for my 82 Kat. The original ones have 2 wires, the new ones have 3 - red, black and black/white. They are simple EBay units - any ideas what the third wire would be for? I'm assuming it has something to do with grounding, but I may be wrong.

Cheers!
    K

I think it is pos/neg and one for powering it as a “running light” or “always on”.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

The black/white would be your ground wire. On the stock bike, that would have been a large ring terminal held on by the nut that held the turn signal to its mount on the headlight ear.

You will have to experiment a bit to see the function of the red and black wires, but one should be the lower-power running light, the other will be the higher-power turn signal.

Because these are "simple eBay units", I will have to ask a question or three.
      1. Are they incandescent bulbs or LEDs?
      2. If they are incandescent bulbs, are they stock equivalents?
      3. If they are LEDs, did they come with built-in load compensation?

The stock flasher unit is thermal-based, meaning that it needs to 'see' a certain amount of current to heat a bi-metallic strip that flexes to interrupt the circuit and make the lights blink. Lower-power bulbs (typical in some cheap units) don't draw enough power, so the flasher will not work. LEDs definitely don't draw enough power, so they won't blink, either, but some of them have built-in compensators, so they work normally. In either case, you can change the flasher unit to one that will flash with lower current draw, but if you have self-cancelling turn signals, you will lose that function. In fact, you will also have to do some minor re-wiring of the flasher socket to handle the new flasher.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The black/white would be your ground wire. On the stock bike, that would have been a large ring terminal held on by the nut that held the turn signal to its mount on the headlight ear.

You will have to experiment a bit to see the function of the red and black wires, but one should be the lower-power running light, the other will be the higher-power turn signal.

Because these are "simple eBay units", I will have to ask a question or three.
        1. Are they incandescent bulbs or LEDs?
        2. If they are incandescent bulbs, are they stock equivalents?
        3. If they are LEDs, did they come with built-in load compensation?

The stock flasher unit is thermal-based, meaning that it needs to 'see' a certain amount of current to heat a bi-metallic strip that flexes to interrupt the circuit and make the lights blink. Lower-power bulbs (typical in some cheap units) don't draw enough power, so the flasher will not work. LEDs definitely don't draw enough power, so they won't blink, either, but some of them have built-in compensators, so they work normally. In either case, you can change the flasher unit to one that will flash with lower current draw, but if you have self-cancelling turn signals, you will lose that function. In fact, you will also have to do some minor re-wiring of the flasher socket to handle the new flasher.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. They are incandescent units, same wattage as the bulbs they are replacing. Even though electrical is my weakness I've read enough on these forums to know installing LED's is not usually a simple swap.

These are installed on the Katana's fairing, not the headlight ear, so there is no metal grounding point.

Comment

Did the stock lights have a "running light" function? That would be the dimmer "marker light" function, similar to your car.

What colors were the wires on the stock lights?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Did the stock lights have a "running light" function? That would be the dimmer "marker light" function, similar to your car.

What colors were the wires on the stock lights?

No running lights. Black and black/white.

Comment

So I sent 12 volts through all of the various wires on the turn signal. Black and black/white is very bright, like it should be. Red and black or red and black/white also lights up, but not nearly as bright, which leads me to believe that it's a "running lights" circuit. I'll just wire it up with black-black/white and leave the red capped and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X