No announcement yet.

GS250T timing marks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i took these when i was first stripping the engine for reference, so it ran when it was like that. I'm going to check again and cross reference

inCollage_20180207_131917924.jpg

Comment

heres a closeup of how it was when i first took the cover off

Screenshot_20180207-132507 (1).jpg

Comment

i've re-adjusted the valves very slightly and slightly tweeked the cam position and im now getting 60 psi on both sides. still way off 110psi

Screenshot_20180207-143712.jpg

Comment

Ok, that at least looks like the 250 shop manual...your earlier diagram is from the GSX400 manual.
          250camchain.jpg

Comment

It's running! Finally! a couple of the valves clearances was slightly too tight and probably wasn't fully closing!

Tomorrows task is to try and get it to run right by playing with the carbs. idle is all over the place and it will only fire up with a little squirt of starter then it runs fine on its own

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
              it was running fine before i stripped the engine to fit the new valve, so it cant be worn rings etc surely
              I did not say your bores and rings are shot, by putting oil in the cylinders and running a compression test will point you to where the problem lies i.e. If the numbers rise then it's the bores/rings if it does not rise then the oil is escaping via the valves (bent valves,incorrect valve setting, pitted valve seats ect.
              when you say you tweeted the cam timing could you enlighten us what exactly you did?
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                when you say you tweeted the cam timing could you enlighten us what exactly you did?
                i kept the advance governor the same and moved both cams 1 tooth clockwise. so 20pins between them still but both just slightly advanced. If that makes sense

Comment

Working...
                X