warmer days ahead, alas, no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warmer days ahead, alas, no spark

Thought I would get the old girl (83 1100es) going a bit early this year, seeing as we have a stretch of warmer weather ahead. Fresh gas, charged battery, and....NO SPARK. Well, crap. Time to diagnose....get out the multimeter and.....the cheap piece of hardware store junk no worky anymore. Super. So I am in the market for a new meter, and it would be nice to figure out my no spark, too.... Nothing to really report here, just venting a bit I guess.....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

I'll fill in some details in case someone has a carnac moment before i can diagnose.... 1100 es, well maintained, running the SSPB (solid state power board fuse block replacement for the uninitiated), Dyna green coils, well-charged new-ish battery, clean harness. Bike has been running well, until a time last fall when I had an intermittent electrical/ignition fault while riding. Ignition cut out off and on for about a mile of road or so, but miraculously cleared itself up. I was unable to find a definite cause for it, I found one damaged terminal end in a connector, which has been replaced. Bike cranks well, carbs are clean and getting fresh fuel. No spark when I lay the plugs against the head. I am wondering now if MAYBE the electrical oddity of last fall could have been ignitor related. I'm planning on picking up a new multimeter tomorrow and running some diagnostics, but in the meantime, ideas are welcome!

greg

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      Thought I would get the old girl (83 1100es) going a bit early this year, seeing as we have a stretch of warmer weather ahead. Fresh gas, charged battery, and....NO SPARK. Well, crap. Time to diagnose....get out the multimeter and.....the cheap piece of hardware store junk no worky anymore. Super. So I am in the market for a new meter, and it would be nice to figure out my no spark, too.... Nothing to really report here, just venting a bit I guess.....
      Maybe new battery's in the meter?

Comment

tried that, its just a junky cheapy. bad leads, swapped them with some known new ones, then still inconsistent/no meaningful readings. one of these days i will pick up a decent used fluke or something.

Comment

Can you confirm the integrity of the molex from the regulator/fuseblock area (left panel) going up to the battery?
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 02-27-2018, 06:46 AM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

pins in the connector all look good. I replace one that had some damage, everything else is tight. I fell asleep with the kiddos last night, so no new data....

Comment

confirmed it is a bad ignitor, if anyone sees chef around, let him know he has a pm! Been reading up on stock vs dyna s vs 2000, seems to be a good year for ignition systems....

Comment

ok. well. a new ignitor is of no help. Here is what i've got so far.....Charged battery. Lights, etc all ok. Bike cranks strong. Dyna green coils (1 year old) test ok via ohm measurement. Signal generator tests ok (ohms per FSM). Both ignitors fail the 1.5 volt battery test..... The "new" one was purchased off a member of the forum, from a running but wrecked bike. Either I have 2 bad ignitors (seems unlikely??) or there is a problem in the wiring from the ignitor to the coils? This also seems unlikely, wiring harness is intact , no signs of rats nibbling or anything like that. Ideas?? I have peeled a bit of tape back at both ends of the harness, nothing looks amiss. I must be missing something.......

Comment

Ok, I have some questions, if someone could be so kind. I am not seeing voltage at the coils. The o/w from the ignitor powers the coils, yes? Should I have power at the coils if the ignitor is bad? Regarding the kill switch, would the bike crank if there was something wrong with that? Is it possible for the bike to crank but not get power to the coils? I took apart the ignition switch, it SEEMS ok.....I am a bit stumped as to what is going on. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Greg

Comment

Hi greg
                    glad to help how ever I can (see pm)

power on org/wht (am away from schematic so going by suspect memory and what you said) comes from ignition fuse and then kill switch .... which is pretty much same as goes to starter buttton, so know is good to there but loosing it somewhere thru wiring harness before gets to coils.

(coils not powered thru igniter. Both coils powered by same org/wht wire from the kill switch. The ignitor operates the coils each separately thru the other wire at coil)
                    Last edited by Redman; 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If have power at ignition fuse when switch is on then ignition switch is okay.

Ignition (power at coils) and starter button do get power from same ignition fuse and kill switch. But since the start button is right next to the killswitch , that is just a little jumper wire, but to get that same power to the coils there is wiring and connnectors thru the bike to get to the coils.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I haven't taken a look at the kill switch, (I will tonight) just seems odd that I have power everywhere else. Kill switch works to cut power everywhere else.....

I am (if you don't remember) running the SSPB, I really don't want to think that is the issue, but I am wondering if I need to start looking harder at it. I replaced one of the pins in the molex connector, all else LOOKS ok, but.....

Not much I can do here at work except ponder and study wiring diagrams..... Thanks for the response, Dave, if I am still stumped come this weekend, I might be giving you a call...weather looks promising.....

edit: Looking at the diagram, the coils are powered separately through the kill from the rest of the bike....if I am looking at it wrong. I will LOL if after this frustration it is a loose connector somewere at the kill switch....rookie mistake....ugh.
                        Last edited by greg78gs750; 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

as Redman says and on my bike,( guessing yours too since you have an "ignitor" and suzukis are similar.)

The o/w from the ignitor powers the coils, yes?
                          Yes
                          Should I have power at the coils if the ignitor is bad?
                          not likely but it depends on exactly how the ignitor failed. Failed "Open"? or Failed as "short circuit...

the ignitor interrupts the coils circuit to ground(negative), creating spark. The sensors on the crank tell it when to do this.

You won't see positive and negative power across the coils if the ignitor is not allowing access to ground because current must flow from Positive to ground(negative) for you to "see" a voltage drop through the coils' resistive loads.

If you look at the diagram, and you agree that you need + and -, then where do the coils go to -? On the other side of the "ignitor". so that's still your problem.
                          Substitute a pigtailed lightbulb in the circuit for the ignitor (short across it) and you will know if + is getting through the coils.

Is it possible for the bike to crank but not get power to the coils?
                          yes. starting and ignition both tap the same O/W wire.and the O/W wire is controlled through the kill switch. If Kill is on, bike can turn over independent of the ignition system.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-13-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            I haven't taken a look at the kill switch, (I will tonight) just seems odd that I have power everywhere else. Kill switch works to cut power everywhere else.....

No, as I said earlier, and maybe you said later: No, the kil swtich does not kill all power. THe kill swtich kills power (Org/wht) to the starter button and to the ignition coils and the igniter only, which are all the items on the ignition fuse. But the kill switch does not kill not anything else like dash lights or instrumenst or other lights.

You say it does crank over, so kill switch is powering the starter button, so the kill switch must be okay.
                            At the kill swtich is the wire comming from the ignition fuse. And on other side of the kill switch is a little jumper over to the starter button and another wire going out to the wiring harnerss and thru some connectors to the bikes harness to get to the coils (and the ignitor).

Follow the wiring harness from the handle bar control. Find the connector. I cant tell you where to find that connector on an ES, (maybe in headlight shell).
                            One Org/Wht wire (maybe has red collar) is from the ignition fuse.
                            Other Org/wht wire is the one comming back from the kill switch, going to coils and igniter. THis is my leading suspect. Check it with meter.
                            All the other wires in that connector have to do with the non-existnet headlight switch, so not part of your concern here.
                            The Yel/Grn wire to a separate connector is from the starter button.
                            (I think the schematic I am looking at is for a 1100E, but even if is for an G, I think this portion is the same.)

You can call before the weekend. (see recent PM) Do not need to wait until stumped and/or frustrated.

Last edited by Redman; 03-13-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I HAVE SPARK!! Found a dodgy connection made by a po, and fixed another bad pin in the molex to the SSPB, not sure which was the culprit, but praise the FSM we have a spark. Now to rewrap some wires and actually get it running....

Comment

Working...
                              X