Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions

My question is a pretty simple one, I am restoring a GS650G basket case from the frame up. Powder coating the frame, found a NEW tank, covers and tail piece and will get a new stock seat cover so she should look pretty good when it is done. My concern is that I have a couple of 81 GS550T's that I have fully restored and my buddy and I take a tour on them annually reliving our youth with the same model of bikes we had new. Last year we experiences issues that were, as far as I could determine, from the charging system heating up so rectifier/stator issues I'd suspect. The one bike kept blowing fuses after a long run at higher revs in the heat. The R/R and stator were stock and my suspicion is they're likely due for replacement. A spring project will be to test them and decide what to do there depending upon what I find.

With this new build (GS650G) I am inclined to simply buy a new stator and rectifier so they're good to go from day one. My problem is I can't seem to find a definite answer on which rectifier is the best. Seems that Rick's stators are worth the money but I am not sure whether a Rick's rectifier is the best choice or whether I should get a SH 775. I've read a lot of the posts but I am still unclear.

If there's a good rationale available I'd love to hear it on which to get.
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Concensus is that the SH775 series type is preferred due to the fact that it “switches off” when the battery is charged as opposed to the shunt style that dumps extra current back to the stator when the battery is full. This causes the stator to run hotter. This a very simplistic explanation, but I’m pretty certain that is the gist.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The switch off part was what I wasn't getting and now understand. Next question is where's a good place to buy one and know it is not a "fake"?
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982

Comment

You want "new" or "used"?

I recently updated my thread from a few years ago, showing prices for new SH775s. Click HERE to see that thread. (All the info you need is in the first post.)

If you don't mind getting a used one, let me know, I will find a few on eBay for you and send you the links. There are getting to be more and more copy-cat R/Rs out there that look like the SH775 and the ads say "replaces Polaris R/R" or "fits Polaris Razr" and other such wording, but they are just updated versions of older shunt-style R/Rs, not a series-type that you are looking for.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

New or used? Well I figure I may as well go new if I putting a lot of effort into this rebuild and I want it to be dependable ... Pro Caliber seems to still have it for $134 shipped - does that seem correct by your account? Here's the numbers/description they've listed: REGULATOR-3PH,35A,SERIES,105C 4012941 REGULATOR-3PH,35A,SERIES,105C . https://shop.procaliber.com/oempartf...OL//4012941/1/

And that's great info on the clone/rip offs that are out there. Seems some will go to great lengths to deceive people these days.

Thanks to you and Dorkburger, you've been a great help with this!
          GS550T 1981
          GS850G 1983
          GS650G 1982

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
            New or used? Well I figure I may as well go new if I putting a lot of effort into this rebuild and I want it to be dependable ... Pro Caliber seems to still have it for $134 shipped - does that seem correct by your account?
            I did not check the price today, but they were the cheapest as of the date that I updated that thread (11 FEB 2018).

If you would be interested in a used one, click HERE to see one of the two that I just saw on eBay for $45. You can clearly see the "SH775" imprint on the back fin, which pretty much assures you that you are getting the real item.

As far as the reliability of a used item, I have bought several (for my bikes and a few others), have never had a problem.

Your money, your choice.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

For $45 it is worth a try - I bid on it and will see how it tests out/runs. Thanks Steve - the amount of work you do for others here is pretty amazing and appreciated.
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                For $45 it is worth a try - I bid on it and will see how it tests out/runs.
                "Bid"??? That is a "Buy it Now" auction.

Or you can "Make an Offer", but click the Buy it Now button, then make payment arrangements.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X