Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator hell!!!

Hi All,

Final stages of my first GS build which ive been working on for over 12 months. And im now getting beaten after all i have been through by some front indicators!!! i have draw a rough wiring diagram below of my set up in three different configurations.

Basically i have new indicators with just a green and blue wire. when connecting them and signal left i get a left flash but also a faded flash on the right and vice versa. I swapped the wires round for the right indicator and its the same. If I then swap the left indicator wires round I only get a very slow and dying tick noise from the flash relay and a very faded lit bulb on both L&R indicators.

indicator.jpg

My research suggested that the 'leak' could be because there is only 1 indicator instrument bulb (on the panel/dash) whether you signal left or right, so purposely leaks a little power from each indicator to glow this pannel bulb but shouldn't at the indicator because the old ones wouldn't glow with such small amount of power. But LEDs will as they only need a very small amount. i dont have the old ones to check, and dont want to start pulling those wires out if its just s simple fix.

Really appreciate anyone's help and advice.

Thanks
    SW

For a start it would help if you tell us what Gs you have and the year best doing this by putting that info in your signature so every time you post a question the info is generated automatically.
    i think this is what you require look at post#4 in the link
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      For a start it would help if you tell us what Gs you have and the year best doing this by putting that info in your signature so every time you post a question the info is generated automatically.
      i think this is what you require look at post#4 in the link
      https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...Led+indicators

Of course sorry!!

Suzuki 1981 GS750L

Comment

We can't help without knowing what model you have.

The problem you are having is common and quite easy to fix. At maximum, it means soldering two diodes into the circuit at the correct place.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Ah; single turn indicator light. Yep, one leg of the bulb via two diodes as per the link already provided by fastbysuzuki, the other one to ground.

If the indicator light has been replaced with an LED one, keep polarity in mind.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Thanks for the replies (signature now sorted!) - the diagram in the link shows for an LED in the panel but does mention its the same for LED indicators so presume is the same. And also the placement of the diodes e.g back to back off the panel wire? not the indicators?

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              Ah; single turn indicator light. Yep, one leg of the bulb via two diodes as per the link already provided by fastbysuzuki, the other one to ground.

If the indicator light has been replaced with an LED one, keep polarity in mind.
              Awesome thanks - just to be 100% is that "bulb" the one in the panel or the indicator (L or R?)?

And presume the diode suggested 1N4001 will work for GS1981L?

Comment

SW, I am not in a good position to help you too much at this time. But, let me comment and congratulate you on the great diagrams.

And are these lights LED?
                If they are LED. and even if you have everything all wired up as proper as can be;the stock flasher is not going to work because the flasher requires a certain minimum of current for it to work. If the bulbs are not LED and are the normal bulbs with the filliments but they are smaller wattage (so less current) than stock bulbs; the flasher may work but flash slow.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  SW, I am not in a good position to help you too much at this time. But, let me comment and congratulate you on the great diagrams.

And are these lights LED?
                  If they are LED. and even if you have everything all wired up as proper as can be;the stock flasher is not going to work because the flasher requires a certain minimum of current for it to work. If the bulbs are not LED and are the normal bulbs with the filliments but they are smaller wattage (so less current) than stock bulbs; the flasher may work but flash slow.
                  Thanks Redman - they are LED. They are flashing a bit quick but do work, just leak voltage into the opposite indicator. I will order a new flasher and try and insert the diode so it stops any current going through. Im pretty sure where it needs to go but if someone can confirm if i could put it into either bulb wire on the indicator rather than the panel bulb its going to be much simpler!

Comment

Originally posted by smokerhill View Post
                    Awesome thanks - just to be 100% is that "bulb" the one in the panel or the indicator (L or R?)?

And presume the diode suggested 1N4001 will work for GS1981L?

The one in the panel. 1N4001 is plenty enough; it blocks up to 50V, whereas your bike will (should) provide 14.4V at maximum.
                    Last edited by roeme; 03-05-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I put LED blinkers on my '80 1100. The problem as others have said is the single turn light in the instrument cluster. The 2 diodes and a LED specific blinker should sort it. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/TOMALL-Electr...PH/ref=sr_1_23
                      I used the 3 wire one and ended up having to ground one pin.
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                      X