Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS450L Start Button Not Engaging Starter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sorrentino100 View Post
    Still no action when the starter button is pressed. This with the clutch lever engaged.
    Good to hear of some progress.
    I think you can see how trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem with your eyeballs is not producing much results.
    Using a volt meter at some place, say at the clutch swtich, you could determine if
    1) is all okay up to that point and problem is then toward the solenoid end of the circuit.
    or
    2) Is bad soemwhere before here, so problem is then toward the starter button end of the circuit.
    So with a meter, you can check things out and divide all the possible causes along the circuit into half, and then start checking in the direction of the problem.
    Without a meter, you are just randomly poking around at any and every thing.

I think I recall you saying you got a meter on order.... you get it yet?

When you say "tri-state", I dont know where that is, but I suppose someone nearby to you would know.

Last edited by Redman; 03-15-2018, 04:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Did you find the connectors for the clutch switch, where they plug into the bike harness?? THis might be in the headlight shell.
      As a test, you could disconnect those connectors and plug the two connectors of the bike harness into each other, therby bypassing the clutch switch, and see if that makes a difference.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just received the meter today. I'll test from the beginning of the circuit as described in an earlier post.

Comment

P1000476.jpgThis is the part of the clutch interlock switch.

Comment

P1000488.jpg Kill Switch.

Comment

P1000489.jpgStarter Switch.

Comment

P1000490.jpgKIll Switch.

Comment

P1000491.jpgKill Switch.

Comment

I tried to get some readings but was not able to get anything intelligible. I have the meter on Volts DC. I'd appreciate the procedure to check the kill and starter switch. In particular, with only two hands and two tests lead and a starter button to engage, any best methods for performing this?

Comment

First with meter setup for DCVolts: meter black lead on battery negitive or a good ground, meter red lead on battery positive. THis is just a test of the meter and the negitive connection, should see the 12 point something reading. Helps if the black lead has clips, or maybe find some way to stick the black lead into the battery negitive or some connector with the black/white wire. That way it frees up one hand.

At kill switch, with ignition ON: Leave meter black were it was on battery negitive or some graound, move meter red to kill swtich, should see about the same voltage at one of the swtich leads with the swtich off, and with swtich on/Run should see the voltage on both leads.

Then over to the start button. Should have voltage on one lead (the one from the kill swtich), then when push the button should have voltage on both wires.

THen find the connectors for the clutch swtich.......

Comment

I was working on this again yesterday. Actually, took the seat off and found a mouse nest filling the entire air box. Used a screwdriver to turn over the engine with some starter fluid. Got it running. Turns out it's running on one cylinder only. The left cylinder has no spark.

Comment

Working...
                        X