SH541-12 R/R questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH541-12 R/R questions

I have a SH775 R/R that I'd like to install on my 1982 Katana 750. However, I'm having a very hard time finding a place to mount it. There's just not much room anywhere so I may have to do some mods. That said, I'd like to keep the appearance as stock as possible (the R/R is exposed on the Katana) and have a SH541-12 Honda R/R laying around that is approximately the same size as my stock R/R. I know it's not the preferred series style like the SH775, but they used to be recommended as good replacements for the stock R/R. So what makes the SH541 better than stock considering that both are shunt-style R/R's?

Cheers!
    K

Suzuki used various types of R/R's, some better than the others. Many were reasonably large Shindengen units in which case they should hold up reasonably well. In other cases, such as on the 2nd gen 850/1100G for example, the R/R was tiny and not the most robust. If your bike is a restoration then I'd just use the original. Worst case you burn up a stator at some point. Just be sure to rewire the system to feed the stator wires directly into the R/R. The worst part of the Suzuki charging system is the wiring going through the hand control.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The Honda R/R probably has a better heat sink, which keeps it cooler.

Does it have 5 wires or 6? If it's a 5-wire system, it will be a straight replacement for the Suzuki unit.
      If it has 6 wires, the extra wire is a 'sense' wire, which monitors system voltage and provides a bit of optimization to the output.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Ed.

I already bypassed the right hand control. Both stator and R/R are original and I'll run through the charging system tests to make sure both are operating properly. I was under the impression that ALL Suzuki R/R's should be replaced, but I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cheers!
        K

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Does it have 5 wires or 6? If it's a 5-wire system, it will be a straight replacement for the Suzuki unit.
          If it has 6 wires, the extra wire is a 'sense' wire, which monitors system voltage and provides a bit of optimization to the output.

It has 6 wires so I'd be connecting the "sense wire" to the tail light feed or something similar.

Comment

The ultimate connection point for the sense wire is a switched terminal that is (electrically) close to the battery.

If you connect it to a tail light feed, be aware that there are connectors (potential voltage drops) between the battery and the tail light feed.
            1. battery to fuse box
            2. fuse box to MAIN fuse terminals
            3. MAIN fuse terminals to wiring harness
            4. wiring harness to ignition switch harness
            5. ignition switch harness to ignition switch contacts
            6. ignition switch contacts back to main harness
            7. main harness back to fuse box harness
            8. fuse box harness to LIGHTS fuse
            9. LIGHTS fuse to your sense wire.

On my bike(s), I have installed an Eastern Beaver fuse box, which uses a relay to power all the fuses directly from the battery. That makes an ideal connection point for the sense wire, as there are very few connections between it and the battery.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

If size is an issue...consider the sh-530 unit found on ninjas. Pic shows a sh-541 compared to sh-530 on right It is a sense wire type

image.jpg
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                If size is an issue...consider the sh-530 unit found on ninjas. Pic shows a sh-541 compared to sh-530 on right It is a sense wire type

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54184[/ATTACH]
                The SH541 should fit in the same space as stock. Might have to file the mounting holes out a bit, but otherwise it's close. The SH775 is much larger and won't fit in the available space.

Comment

When you get everything hooked up be sure to check for voltage drop from the R/R power output wire on the way to the battery. If the power is feeding through the fuse block with a couple connection bullets you may have as much as .5V loss along the way which should be improved.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    The ultimate connection point for the sense wire is a switched terminal that is (electrically) close to the battery.

If you connect it to a tail light feed, be aware that there are connectors (potential voltage drops) between the battery and the tail light feed.
                    1. battery to fuse box
                    2. fuse box to MAIN fuse terminals
                    3. MAIN fuse terminals to wiring harness
                    4. wiring harness to ignition switch harness
                    5. ignition switch harness to ignition switch contacts
                    6. ignition switch contacts back to main harness
                    7. main harness back to fuse box harness
                    8. fuse box harness to LIGHTS fuse
                    9. LIGHTS fuse to your sense wire.

On my bike(s), I have installed an Eastern Beaver fuse box, which uses a relay to power all the fuses directly from the battery. That makes an ideal connection point for the sense wire, as there are very few connections between it and the battery.

Hi Steve,

I just checked and and was mistaken; it has 8 wires.

Comment

I will guess that there are two going to the positive output and two to the negative output?

Probably 8 wires on 6 connection points.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X