Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D8EA vs. DR8EIX

I have a 1985 GS700ES.

Ordered a set of DR8EIX spark plugs online. The description said that it fits my bike, but I just found a service manual and it calls for D8EA. What is the difference? Am I okay with using the spark plugs I ordered?

is google too hard to use? Looks like it fits but ure paying 4-5 times as much for a plug that mite not do much

Comment

These are great for sport bikes, which can be a royal pain to change, compared to our bikes. They are touted for their longevity. In other words, you don't need to change them as often. I don't think they will provide much in performance. At $10 per plug compared to $3, maybe a bigger dent in your wallet.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I know IX stands for Iridium, and I know these spark plugs last longer and are more expensive. I guess what I was getting caught up on was the "R." I'm not sure if my bike calls for a resistor, but I assume it doesn't for how old the bike is. I imagine DR8EIX are for much newer bikes with technology that can be interfered with using incorrect spark plugs.

Comment

Most ignition systems "back in the day" required some resistance in the system to minimize radio interference with cars in the area. The three common locations for resistance were wires, caps, plugs. Most of our bikes already have resistor-type caps, you don't need resistors in the plugs. If you don't want to waste your money (since you have already purchased them), you can remove the resistor from the caps, leaving just the resistor in the plugs. When you remove the resistor, you need to substitute with something else. Some have used brass rod or welding rod (no flux). You could also probably use a short section of solid #10 copper wire.

I have heard that Iridium plugs help the bike start easier. My concern with that is that it already starts if you look at the start button cross-eyed, it might just take a casual glance with those plugs. Will have to make sure the bike is either in neutral or on the centerstand, to make sure it doesn't go anywhere when it starts accidentally.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

R is resistor IX iridium
            Great in high compression engines with painfully inaccessible plugs. Also the characteristics of the plug will have been engineered into the overall performance characteristics of the ignition system they are meant to serve in.

Not a waste of money in themselves but may reduce performance as much as enhance it in terms of the charge buildup and release.

Would have been nice when the 80 vette came out and required one to lift the engine off its mounts to change the rearward plugs.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
            X