1977 GS750 charging ?? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 charging ?? Help

I replaced the regulator, rectifier and stator.(nos Suzuki parts) My understanding is there are 2 ground wires. One for the battery terminal to block. I'm missing the other short one that I think runs from battery box at rectifier to frame behind tank? Is that correct? Missing that wire could that prevent charging system from working? Any help appreciated...

Originally posted by Jeff GS View Post
    I replaced the regulator, rectifier and stator.(nos Suzuki parts) My understanding is there are 2 ground wires. One for the battery terminal to block. I'm missing the other short one that I think runs from battery box at rectifier to frame behind tank? Is that correct? Missing that wire could that prevent charging system from working? Any help appreciated...
    Do you have a battery to frame ground and engine to frame ground?
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Are all your connections clean? The original charging components (rectifier and regulator) are notoriously weak. Many replace with a single component R/R, the current favorite being the (series rather than shunt) Shindengen SH775.
      Can you post some photos so we can see what you're dealing with?
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Send a PM to user portdave. He might have a chance to come across the street to visit you. He lives in the same town.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No. Im missing the one ground. Would someone show me where the two grounds go from factory?

Comment

No. Im missing the one ground. Would someone show me where the two grounds go from factory?
            No, go look yourself. The service manual for your bike documents it.

(Hint: If the people you're asking for help request clarification, you should provide it. What goes around, comes around.)
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Hey, Mines missing just looking for some help

ROEME.... Read between the lines...(Hint: you might find something for your attitude....)

Comment

Hey, Mines missing just looking for some help

ROEME.... Read between the lines...(Hint: you might find something for your attitude....)
                Learn your way around the internet in general and the forums' customs you're frequenting specifically.

So instead of nonchalantly disregarding what you've been asked to do (simply provide pictures) and/or brushing off help offered that doesn't come in a form you'd like; you could've gone to our Library (which is linked in my sig.), might've had a look at some other '77 manual (since your 750 is missing on cliffs page) and compared to what's on your bike and might've found that the 550's are very similar, and figured it out by yourself.

Or, you'd invest 30 seconds into a google search; found the manual for your bike at http://www.vanluik.eu/Suzuki%20GS750...e%20Manual.pdf, and then flipped over to page 153.

Don't confuse your preference for others doing the work with those others giving you an attitude.

f$!ck, joke's on me, now I did the work for you nonetheless.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You should also read about single point grounded (SPG). You essentially connect all of the grounds to a single location.

You certainly need a ground from battery to engine case to ground the starter. It uses a lot of current. I removed this by mistake and ended up melting one of my grounds that was forced to carry all the extra current.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Are all your connections clean? The original charging components (rectifier and regulator) are notoriously weak. Many replace with a single component R/R, the current favorite being the (series rather than shunt) Shindengen SH775.
                    Can you post some photos so we can see what you're dealing with?
                    Will do once I get it free from my el camino... Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X